Got nothing last day as the birds had me figured out from earlier in the week when I got a couple (pintail and widgeon drakes). Had a beautiful sunset and was kept company by 30+ swans! They did not give two sh*ts that I was popping off within a stone's throw. They just kept on feeding and only moved off when I went to retrieve my dekes.

So ends duck season. I had a lot of firsts this season for me. First pintail, first bufflehead, first Eurasian widgeon. I also thought more about decoying this year and built up my stock of toys and even converted four Canada shells into floaters. I was also able to get my range more reliably this year and brought down lots pass-shooting as well as experiencing the joys of potting easy decoying birds. I also picked up my calling game. After a previous season of just random 'shots in the dark' I have the spots and its duck movements figured out for my area. My fridge always had a duck or two or four in it and my friends were fed well with the different varieties. I was "blessed" this season to be not working throughout the season (laid off just before season start!) and was able to go out twice or more a week whenever I felt like it. I don't think I need any more gear for what I can pack in.

My goal for next fall is to either find better land, partner with a hunter with retriever, or get into a boat or kayak as working public land is still hard as the birds have all of the bay to themselves and I have to catch them on the fringes or trafficking. Without a boat or dog I lost a few birds including one day I would have limited out if not for seeing a couple bodies swept out of reach.

I will try for geese in February but need better spots for them (or boat).

It's going to be a long wait until next October!