Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

My experiance is 1 hour after sunset is soo dark you cant see anything...if you could still identify your animal without lights you would have been good to go...
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

^^^yup that's what I go by, and in the regs it even says hunters will have to make that judgement in the field... lol I give it about a 1% chance you'll see him again...sorry Caddis..I've let go a crankier buck before too, because of a different situation but yes it hurts, but when in doubt don't shoot so overall you did the right thing..

Taking a shot at the last legal light from a stand or an area you've been watching for a couple hours is one thing. Jumping an animal in poor light on the road is another you don't know what your back stop is likely for one thing. I can relate I shut myself down in similar situations early. Guess you better go back caddis
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    My experiance is 1 hour after sunset is soo dark you cant see anything...if you could still identify your animal without lights you would have been good to go...
    I've never rd hunted in all my years. Pretty much know who I'm after and am usually on them and they seldom become active and start to show/expose themselves until last light and r usually on their way out within 30 mins of first light.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Point being is that last and first light is THE critical window for deer hunting. If u r just driving around I suspect it's a different game if every turn and cut block the light is different. Always error on the ethics side, not comfortable, dont shoot.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Curious, where do you read that it depends on local terrain? All I see is one hour after/before published sunset and that doesn't change per terrain.
    Pretty sure it mentions the terrain factor in the regs.

Anyway I had lots of time to marinade on it. I'm still good with my decision.

My consolation prize was a bunch of birds which is what we came for... we call it the "annual natures drive through". Who knew deer would come to the party though.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Taking a shot at the last legal light from a stand or an area you've been watching for a couple hours is one thing. Jumping an animal in poor light on the road is another you don't know what your back stop is likely for one thing. I can relate I shut myself down in similar situations early. Guess you better go back caddis
    Psst it's that place you checked out last year... right around the 2km mark where it goes from a steep drop off to a nice timber bench on your left. I was tempted to go set up in there tonight lol

You are an experienced hunter and made the right call. I have many, many stories of “the one that got away” variety, these are some of my favourite memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacemaker View Post
    In reply to the above quote, a C.O. would have used a watch and a GPS to figure out if it was legal. Pretty simple.....
    Exactly.

Also varying sunrise/sunset has nothing to do with terrain, everything to do with latitude

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Sooo I'm up hunting somewhere (with reception for a change LOL)

We're just road hunting around, driving back to camp. It was getting pretty dark... almost dark.

Then we see this huge muley (at least a 5x5 with a great big body) on the road. I wasn't sure if it was "legal light" or not. I switched off my headlights to see how well I could see... could still see a good 30-40 yards or so though not much detail... watched the deer walk off into the bush and then kept driving.

I don't know what I'd do if I had a "do over" on that one haha.

Maybe I'll see him in the morning. Didn't even really plan on seeing a deer this trip. I just wanted to do our annual "Thanksgiving Road Hunt" and give the birdies a little heck.

Anyway Happy Thanksgiving friends!!

Here, I’ll make you feel a little better about deciding not to shoot in questionable light ^^ haha,

Yesterday afternoon around 3, Hugh Mann and myself were hiking into a spot we know to hold white tails, with the intention of harvesting another WT, well on the way in we walk passed a big boulder, step by it and movement catches my attention... not even 15 yards away from us is a nice fat neck 4x4 mulie, bedded and frozen with fear, and we both had a mulie tag in hand...He sat there staring at us for what had to be five minutes, as we had a conversation, put our rifles up and debated a shot and just generally watched him.. the icing on the cake !? After letting him go about his business to make some more 4pts, we get to our spot and set up just in time to hear two guns shots and watch the white tail we were planning to hunt jump up from their beds and take off into another dimension! Good karma my ass hahaha hopefully it wasn’t another hunter shooting the buck we let live or we just burnt up two bridges!