Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Langley
    Posts
    4,225

    Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    Sooo I'm up hunting somewhere (with reception for a change LOL)

    We're just road hunting around, driving back to camp. It was getting pretty dark... almost dark.

    Then we see this huge muley (at least a 5x5 with a great big body) on the road. I wasn't sure if it was "legal light" or not. I switched off my headlights to see how well I could see... could still see a good 30-40 yards or so though not much detail... watched the deer walk off into the bush and then kept driving.

    I don't know what I'd do if I had a "do over" on that one haha.

    Maybe I'll see him in the morning. Didn't even really plan on seeing a deer this trip. I just wanted to do our annual "Thanksgiving Road Hunt" and give the birdies a little heck.

    Anyway Happy Thanksgiving friends!!

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kamloops
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Sooo I'm up hunting somewhere (with reception for a change LOL)

    We're just road hunting around, driving back to camp. It was getting pretty dark... almost dark.

    Then we see this huge muley (at least a 5x5 with a great big body) on the road. I wasn't sure if it was "legal light" or not. I switched off my headlights to see how well I could see... could still see a good 30-40 yards or so though not much detail... watched the deer walk off into the bush and then kept driving.

    I don't know what I'd do if I had a "do over" on that one haha.

    Maybe I'll see him in the morning. Didn't even really plan on seeing a deer this trip. I just wanted to do our annual "Thanksgiving Road Hunt" and give the birdies a little heck.

    Anyway Happy Thanksgiving friends!!
    I carry a lever action with a 1x for this reason exactly !
    one thing I do every time I hunt the evening is set a phone alarm for a couple minutes after legal light.
    No confusion for me, and it’s lead me to comfortably harvest animals in waning light.
    Proud member of the Second Nations community.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tent city Victoria
    Posts
    3,079

    Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Sooo I'm up hunting somewhere (with reception for a change LOL)

    We're just road hunting around, driving back to camp. It was getting pretty dark... almost dark.

    Then we see this huge muley (at least a 5x5 with a great big body) on the road. I wasn't sure if it was "legal light" or not. I switched off my headlights to see how well I could see... could still see a good 30-40 yards or so though not much detail... watched the deer walk off into the bush and then kept driving.

    I don't know what I'd do if I had a "do over" on that one haha.

    Maybe I'll see him in the morning. Didn't even really plan on seeing a deer this trip. I just wanted to do our annual "Thanksgiving Road Hunt" and give the birdies a little heck.

    Anyway Happy Thanksgiving friends!!
    I feel your pain. Last year I spooked a back scratcher of a bull at last light. 5 minutes of legal light but just couldn’t see well enough.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Langley
    Posts
    4,225

    Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I carry a lever action with a 1x for this reason exactly !
    one thing I do every time I hunt the evening is set a phone alarm for a couple minutes after legal light.
    No confusion for me, and it’s lead me to comfortably harvest animals in waning light.
    I suspect I would have been able to see it in the 30-06 scope... have a 12 gauge with 3 inch OO and fibre optic front site as well.

    Legal light is confusing... it says in the regs it depends on landscape... but I think there's a level of "use your judgement" ... lots of places the sun "sets" behind a mountain and you still have 5 hours of light.

    I usually go by "could I see still see antlers from 30 yards"

    Not sure if I could have or not... maybe. Didn't jump out to check... realized kinda after the fact.

    Not gonna beat myself over it too much. I might not have had a crack at it anyway... he didn't seem too keen on hanging around

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,595

    Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    Fak man, know your legal shooting light every day. You dont need my advice. I will say this when it comes to deer...last 10 mins of legal shooting light is when I've seen the majority of jaw droppers


    I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright


    "Statistics are like women; mirrors of purest virtue and truth, or like whores to use as one pleases". ~Theodor Billroth

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cedar B.C.
    Posts
    6,581

    Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    If you had reception, no excuse for not knowing legal shooting times. Good luck tomorrow.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Okanagan
    Posts
    12,397

    Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    Legal light usually is well after being able to see with out moonshine or lights
    your gps will tell you sunrise and sunset

    Good that you didn't shoot him down the road if there was any chance of anyone else being in the area
    Never say 'whoa' in the middle of a mud hole.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Langley
    Posts
    4,225

    Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    If you had reception, no excuse for not knowing legal shooting times. Good luck tomorrow.
    I could check sunset for the nearest town, but that's a ways away and 1500M elevation difference w/ totally different landscape so wouldn't be too relevant where I'm at.

    I just go with the "how good can I see" method and it this one felt a little "off" but still an "on the fence" moment.

    Maybe this is why I can't get a deer to save my life though

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Langley
    Posts
    4,225

    Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Legal light usually is well after being able to see with out moonshine or lights
    your gps will tell you sunrise and sunset

    Good that you didn't shoot him down the road if there was any chance of anyone else being in the area
    Ya it wasn't the best shot... not down the road, but not much of a backstop... bit of a layer of trees but nothing just air after that until the next valley over. I might have been able to get a ground angle on him. I'll never know. I don't think I would have got a shot anyway... he didn't want to hang out

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    4,072

    Re: Omg... I should have shot it? Maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Sooo I'm up hunting somewhere (with reception for a change LOL)

    We're just road hunting around, driving back to camp. It was getting pretty dark... almost dark.

    Then we see this huge muley (at least a 5x5 with a great big body) on the road. I wasn't sure if it was "legal light" or not. I switched off my headlights to see how well I could see... could still see a good 30-40 yards or so though not much detail... watched the deer walk off into the bush and then kept driving.

    I don't know what I'd do if I had a "do over" on that one haha.

    Maybe I'll see him in the morning. Didn't even really plan on seeing a deer this trip. I just wanted to do our annual "Thanksgiving Road Hunt" and give the birdies a little heck.

    Anyway Happy Thanksgiving friends!!
    Similar story!
    Eve & I were on our way towards our camp near Gang. It started to get dark as we made the sharp turn on the road just above the island. To the right of us stood a big mule buck about 40 yards away. It's head was slowly moving.

    Got out of the vehicle asap & shot it with my video camera.

    It was a robotic mule deer decoy set to catch night hunters.

    To the chagrin of the CO's who were sitting & waiting on the hill top just to the right of Churn Creek bridge we drove by and waved a hello!

    Where Churn Creek empties into Fraser.

    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •