Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down jackets

Down jackets

Hey everyone

So since the cold weather is upon us I’m looking for a down jacket. I understand the importance of layering and everything. I have all that except for a down jacket. I’ve looked up previous threads but most on this topic are years old.

what down jacket would you recommend for hunting? MEC seems to have some decent ones for sale.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Down jackets

I bought the Patagonia Windsweep Down Hoody from MEC last year and used it in the bush with layering underneath when it got too cold. It is also a good jacket for cold rain/sleet nights as it is totally waterproof.

It is good to -10 by itself.
    Last edited by Banker; 10-13-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Got a mountain hardware 650 fill from the sale rack at atmosphere 5 years ago for 75 bucks. It’s been excellent.

1. Westcomb

2. Western Mountaineering

3. Feathered Friends

Research these plus Valandre on the internet and buy one that meets your criteria.......costly, but, will outlast you, no shit.

Why not support a hunting company and go with a Kuiu down jacket? IMO the Kuiu gear is every bit as good as the brands BgBlkDg mentions. The Kuiu gear also comes in non-camo so you can wear it when you are not hunting too.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Lots of good options in hiking and backpacking gear stores where you can get solid gear for a good price and find some real good sales" saying that I wont shop at mec anymore" .
    Ive got 2, one fairly light Rab for layering and a Kuhl for a heavier outer layer. Both are extremely packable and Kuhl packs into its own hood making an outstaning pillow when backpacking

Another nod to mountain hardware...I got one, used it hard, still great, not expensive.
    There is a lot of clothing being “targeted” at hunters with high prices- not sure it is required.

Most big-name companies offer good options. lower fill count (600+) is lower quality down and is heavier and doesn't pack down as small, but are often more durable. The higher fill counts (800+) are the lightest and pack down the smallest but the fabrics often try to capitalize on weight savings and end up being less durable. If you're planning on using it as a layer underneath a shell, I'd recommend something with a higher fill count because it's not going to be at risk of getting snagged or torn. If you think you'll be bushwhacking in it, or are hard on your gear, the 650+ fill gear is still a great option, especially if you're not hiking far from the truck.

For me, the pack-ability of the 800+ stuff is what's most important. PM me if you have any Q's

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    Why not support a hunting company and go with a Kuiu down jacket? IMO the Kuiu gear is every bit as good as the brands BgBlkDg mentions. The Kuiu gear also comes in non-camo so you can wear it when you are not hunting too.
    Yes! Support a hunting company. Remember MEC and Patagonia supported the campaign to shut down the grizzly hunt. I use a Kifaru. It's synthetic, not down, but compresses to a store in my bag nicely. Try to get treated down if you can. It is more user friendly for cleaning and stays warmer when wet.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

A lot of good options from non hunting companies out there. I personally use the first lite chamberlain (850fill) and brooks (650). I am super impressed with the obvious warmth advantages, but also with the durability and water resistance. In a light drizzle I’m not concerned with keeping my down dry if I get stuck without my rain shell.