Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down jackets

Re: Down jackets

Thanks everyone for your help. I support kuiu and firstlite mostly. Kuiu is great but have read their down jackets aren’t the “best”. Just was looking for other options out there.

The KUIU gear I have seen does not approach the quality of the brands I recommend and costs less over time. I still wear an Egge double duvet I bought in 1974 for about $175.00 at that time and have used it extensively as well as owning and using the other brands I mentioned.

I have often stated here that in mountain gear you do get exactly what you pay for.

Mountain Hardwear.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    The KUIU gear I have seen does not approach the quality of the brands I recommend and costs less over time. I still wear an Egge double duvet I bought in 1974 for about $175.00 at that time and have used it extensively as well as owning and using the other brands I mentioned.

I have often stated here that in mountain gear you do get exactly what you pay for.
    Interesting....I work year round in the mtns and just recently switched over to Kuiu exclusively for the very reasons you don't recommend them. When Arcteryx was made in Canada, they were my go to supplier. Yes I do like Patagonia gear but.....
    No arguing from me that mountain specific companies are excellent. I do get Pro Deals from Arcteryx, Patagonia,Kuiu, Sitka etc but in my experience, I really like the Kuiu business model and since I also earn a living hunting and avalanche work, I made a conscious choice to stand behind a hunting company.....for now.
    I get it...you get what you pay for. I am not sure what the "best" is as that's a relative term.
    A few clients had FirstLight gear...worth looking at too.
    I also moved over to Filson as I find their gear stands up to horse hunting quite nicely.
    Lots of good gear out there. I gave up on MEC years ago....
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

The only down Iv used is the kuiu SD, don’t dare wear it as an outer layer or it will get shredded, but as a insulation layer, it could be a life saver! No matter the hunt, the SD is always in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    The only down Iv used is the kuiu SD, don’t dare wear it as an outer layer or it will get shredded, but as a insulation layer, it could be a life saver! No matter the hunt, the SD is always in the bag.
    Whats your outer layer, rain coat or...
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Whats your outer layer, rain coat or...
    Either a dew point hard shell or my jetstream over top. For aug/sept backpack hunts I don’t bother with a soft shell. Can’t say I have any other experience with kuiu, but for insulation, Iv never had to look any further, it also only weighs 1/2 lb or so, super light and packable.