Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help

Need help

I’ve been hunting for 3 years now and still haven’t been successful. When I go hunting in September I see lots of deer but by the time middle of October rolls around all the deer are gone. I’ve tried sitting, hiking and changing elevation but I just can’t figure it out. I have a hunting trip next weekend for whitetail and was wondering if anybody could help me out with some tips. Hunting in region 8 around 8-25 to 8-26

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need help

Could be that they’re migrating out of the area or the pressure he caused them to stay in the timber. Throw a trail cam or 2 up and see if you get anything on cam

Honestly, I hate hunting in October for Deer.
    They are huntable, for sure, but as Fella just stated, it's the time of year of transition for lots of game potentially.
    I find when I hunt elk in Sept, that quite often bucks are bachelored up together and you can see up to 5 or 6 together sometimes.
    Which, can make it hard, because they are not all spread out, but rather together, so they are all in one spot, but then, as a hunter, are you
    in the "right spot" at the same time!!??

Now is a time when they begin to separate, start putting rubs down as they go into the rut.
    Try to put effort in by the late Oct or right at the beginning of November, imo.
    You will notice that a lot of big bucks are taken right then, every year, because they are "moving"!, not sitting and holding in a tight area.

Then come mid November, the rut is on, and if you are in the right spot, it's awesome.
    If not, you think the forest is devoid of game!!
    Again, then they are more "holed up", in an area.
    Although the bucks will travel large distances over night, going from one group of does to another group.
    Problem seems to be, they move at night!

But, if a doe is in heat, he will be on her "all day long" and be really stupid!
    But that doe being in heat is short lived,
    So yes, luck plays a big role as far as timing.

All you can do is look for fresh sign.
    Areas where tracks seem to go "back and forth" in a small area.
    NOT, just a track that B-lines!
    IF you find them going back and forth, sort of aimlessly, then you can be assured it's an area that Does are in, hanging out.
    And that is where the bucks will be come early November.
    Then you get out and go in and "hunt for them".

If you get snow in the area you want to hunt, then get out there, because that will tell you a lot if the area has deer or not.

That's my view.

Thanks for the advice I can push my hunting trip to a week later to the 20 to 25 do you think it would increase my odds

Yeah you’d likely be right on the cusp of the rut at that point

I agree with bugle,

i use to chase my tail around early season, but all my action is late oct and all of November,

i now focus on other big game untill late October,

it’s way more fun imo hunting in the rutt with snow.

haven't you heard? Deer are kidnapped by aliens during the month of October to fight in an intergalactic war and are returned in time for the rut in November.

October is a big transition month for deer. The bucks are ramping up rutting behaviour. Food sources are changing. In some places snow can be inducing migrations to winter ranges. And there is an increase in human hunting pressure pushing a lot of their activity to darkness or the edges of. So yeah October can be strange month, especially if you are hunting the patterns you saw in August or September. The closer you get to the peak rut, the better your chances of finding bucks with their guard down. Peak rut around here is right around Remembrance Day. I like to hunt early season and often have my best opportunities in October, but it can be real hit and miss especially if you get long stretches of warm dry weather.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I agree with bugle,

i use to chase my tail around early season, but all my action is late oct and all of November,
    i now focus on other big game untill late October,
    it’s way more fun imo hunting in the rutt with snow.
    looking at my cut tags over my 3 seasons I’ve learned exactly this! Spot on why I’m going to chase elk aug-oct from here in and then transition to hunting the rut for deer, oh can’t forget hunting spring bear in May!

every year I hunt September, I end up chasing ducks geese and grouse until mid October, every spring I hunt bear I end up burning hundreds of dollars of fuel and prepping my legs for the next month chasing bears in April and I’ve yet to see one lol

Pm sent.......