Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, something in season

Finally, something in season

Finally got a buck. Been seeing tons of animals this season but nothing legal at the time. Start of the season went to my Grandparents farm hoping to get off to a good start. And it was, saw 20+ deer in 1.5 days but no bucks. Got to watch lots of deer within 30 yards, some within 10, great times. Next few weeks spent the weekend mornings hunting with a good buddy trying to get him his first deer. Had a awesome encounter with a moose. He was grunting one morning just out of sight in a cut we were in. I gave him a few grunts back. He hung up about about 50 yards.Gave him a few more grunts and thrashed some brush, went back and forth for 15 mins or so. Finally he came out at about 20 yards looking for the intruder of his territory.He was not happy, thrashing brush and looking for trouble. Took a few pics and He went on his way, not sure what was making all the noise.Couple minutes after, I had a nice 3 point mule come out where the moose had just walked, what a morning. My buddy, was at the other side of the cut while all this was going on. He had a couple bucks come out, both 2 pointers(mid sept),they were within 12 yards. He has been hunting a couple years but not had an encounter like this. First buck was a muley, second a whitetail. He didn't realize until too late the difference between the two. What an experience for him, he thought they were both muleys so didn't even think about shooting until they turned tail and ran. We have seen deer every time up but nothing legal. He went out last week and got a snowshoe hare with his son. Came over for a lesson on how to clean/butcher, great experience for both. They are both catching the bug, awesome.
    Fast forward to today. I was out of town for the week, got in late last night. Buddy couldn't get the day off. Figured I should see the kiddos before I took off hunting this morning, so cooked breakfast then headed out after they went off to school. Late start but better late then never. Went to our spot, settled in and waited. Couple hours in and haven't seen a thing, super slow morning,nothing but chickadees, and a cow moose on the way in. I had told myself to stay in this spot until 1030, then I was going to start walking the cut block.Just before 1030 I was cold and bored, decided to start heading through the block. Took a few steps out of the tree line onto the old skidder trail at the landing I was watching and 70-80 yards up the trail a deer stepped out at the same time. Instantly I knew it was a whitetail, antlered and antlerless season now in effect, I raised my rifle, offhand shot, felt calm and confident, took aim,nothing!! Took safety off and let lead fly, deer dropped in its tracks,it was a nice spiker, good size body, just wish my buddy was here to experience this. Cleaned him up, pulled him up to the truck, brought him home to process. Was using 180 grain corelokt, 30-06, never had any issues before, but this one hit the 2rd rib, exploded, took out lungs, went through esophagus and also through stomach, came out just before back leg, and destroyed one tenderloin. Bit of a mess when cleaning, but was able too wash and save all meat. Never had them splinter like this before. He was perfect broadside when I shot.
    Headed out in the morning again, hopefully get something with my buddy and get him the experience of more then sightseeing!! good luck to everyone else out there!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Finally, something in season

Great story. Congrats on the deer!!! Wish I was that lucky this season lol Enjoy the meat. Mmmmmmm

Thanks for sharing. Great story and glad you got some meat in the freezer��
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

Awesome congrats you should post the pic....I've hit ribs before and had them blow up like a grenade, it happens...

Congrats there!!!

Congratulations, great job.

No luck yesterday, saw a cow moose and got to watch it for a bit before it fed away. If someone wants to post the pic for me I will send it your way. Thanks.

i switched to copper bullets for this reason and am happy so far but only have one animal to judge results by.

Congrats, thanks for sharing the story!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Good going on the snap shot
    Bullet choice or shot placement for the mess?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole