Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone glacier pack question

Stone glacier pack question

Hey folks. Just got a stone glacier xcurve frame with small pack, and after only a day hunting with it on the waist straps were digging into my hip enough that it became painful to wear and left big bruises on either side. The shoulder straps became sore as well.

This is just a day pack, can't imagine how a fully loaded pack plus quarters would feel. Not what I expected from a pack at that price point. To me it looks like the belt strap should be thicker, wider and reach further around. Also had issues with the quick release sling snagging and having to yank on my gun several times very hard to get it to release. Very frustrating when needing your gun in a hurry. Its a shame because I like the light weight and design and seems like good quality. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues and if they found a way to remedy?

**Apologies, should have posted this in hunting gear. Cant figure out how to move it.
    Last edited by bctrailblazer; 10-10-2019 at 11:51 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stone glacier pack question

Hey did you watch their tutorial for fitting the pack properly? They go through how the shoulder straps etc should be setup based on your body. I have the xcurve frame with their older 5600 bag and have had 0 issues it’s been the most comfortable pack I’ve owned but you do need to adjust it properly.

The best remedy I found is to send it back and get a kifaru. The frame is much more comfortable.

I got a new Evo Frame with Sky Talus 6900 pack this year and have not had an issue. As said above, watch the videos on the SG website, set your frame and pack up as demonstrated. Hiked 25km with 58lb in it with no issues other then realizing I'm old and shouldn't be doing this much longer ...LOL
    FYI - Retired my Kifaru Long hunter for this pack. The Kifaru is an awesome pack but its 9lb empty. The SG is 5lb empty.

Unfortunately packs are like guns... It's not truely a one size fits all. Gotta try em on and go from there. Maybe look to Kifaru or Mystery Ranch if you can't get it to fit.

Sucks, but that's the risk of buying online.
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC

What size waist do you have? Also what size is the pack? The bag you said is small, but what about the frame and hip belt?

I bought mine used off a member here and carried 120lbs in it for several hours and my hips and shoulders were perfectly fine. I had two thin shirts on between my skin and the belt.

It sounds to me like you have the torso length too small, so that all of the weight is on your shoulders and the belt just rides on top of your hips?

Mine is always set to "hug" the hips and tight enough to hold all of the weight even with shoulder straps undone.

When strapped up I reckon my shoulders carry 20% and my hips 80%. Works for me.

If you post a pic of how the pack sits it might be more helpful for us to advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    The best remedy I found is to send it back and get a kifaru. The frame is much more comfortable.
    ...and only slightly heavier
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

I have used mine on a few trips. No issues. It seems like it is not set up right or the waist belt is the wrong size.

I had same issue. I had to remove one of the lumbar pads and make sure the torso height is set correctly for your torso if set to long will allow to much of the weight onto your hips. I set mine up like stone said and it didnt quite feel right so I made some tweaks now it packs well. and I have the xcurve sky 5900

I have the xcurve with sky 5900. I watched the tutorial to set it up. It fits me awesome and I have packed out a whole whitetail last year and caribou this year. I really like it over my everlestock I was using. I tried my buddies Kifaru and it felt good as well. But I liked the weight and simple layout of the SG. But I did have issues with my SG gun sling too. I went back to my kifaru gun bearer or strap it to the side of a long hike