Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canopy

Canopy

Since it tends to rain in this country,I like to have dry space. I have used portable garages but they tend to be heavy ,wondering about pop up canopies which are lightweight and convenient ( But seen a few collapsed and abandoned) Tarp shelters are fine if you have trees and an anchoring system but wind is always the challenge .One benefit to a tarp shelter is rain water collectio

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canopy

My dad and I bought one from costco. Theirs are like $280 but much sturdier and have walls that zip on and off. We made a hole in one, an aluminum and wood baffle and stuck a wood stove in it. Works awesome for 2 dudes.

Cheaper than a wall tent and easier to put up, that's for sure.

Not the ideal solution but it can and does work.

I didn’t buy a lightweight canopy after all and opted to just take along my old 10 x20 tarp garage ,very thankful I did because it did rain sporadically and we had plenty of dry space to put firewood ,hang quarters ,cook, eat and sit outside. We just anchored it down with guy ropes and heavy rocks and that held it secure in the wind( seen a few 10x10 expanding canopies blow down) Staying dry is a big factor in country where it rains and all I need is to put a new heavy duty tarp on it every few years

I've been thinking about installing a retractable awning to the front of one of my garage doors. I like to do some mechanical tinkering during mild winder days and I think this would be ideal. Heck, I would have used it this past Sunday when I was skinning and de-boning a W/T doe.

I would also like it for shade when working outside in the Summer - my garage front gets all the afternoon sun and that becomes too much when working on vehicles sometimes.

I'm liking this awning concept more and more all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    My dad and I bought one from costco. Theirs are like $280 but much sturdier and have walls that zip on and off. We made a hole in one, an aluminum and wood baffle and stuck a wood stove in it. Works awesome for 2 dudes.

Cheaper than a wall tent and easier to put up, that's for sure.

Not the ideal solution but it can and does work.

Got pics of your setup?

I tried out a tarp carport. Cut in a hole for the stove pipe. Works ok but corners and wall to roof are not sealed. Works well as a dry spot to cook and dry clothes/get warm. Flapping tarp in the breeze makes it difficult to sleep in. Takes a while to set up and only seems worth it if going for 4 or more nights.

This year I bought an easy up or pop up canopy. I use it outside the travel trailer usually but am going to try it out with the woodstove. It goes up in less than 5 minutes with all walls etc. I got one of the industrial ones from a place on Craigslist that sells them. Heavy denier roof and walls and thicker steel frame. Definitely needs to be anchored. At least all corners and wall to roof seal with velcro. Just need to make one wall for it that has a stove jack.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer View Post
    I tried out a tarp carport. Cut in a hole for the stove pipe. Works ok but corners and wall to roof are not sealed. Works well as a dry spot to cook and dry clothes/get warm. Flapping tarp in the breeze makes it difficult to sleep in. Takes a while to set up and only seems worth it if going for 4 or more nights.

This year I bought an easy up or pop up canopy. I use it outside the travel trailer usually but am going to try it out with the woodstove. It goes up in less than 5 minutes with all walls etc. I got one of the industrial ones from a place on Craigslist that sells them. Heavy denier roof and walls and thicker steel frame. Definitely needs to be anchored. At least all corners and wall to roof seal with velcro. Just need to make one wall for it that has a stove jack.
    Gamer do you have a link to the Craigslist industrial canopies ? I bought a canopy from WalMart a couple of years ago if that packs it in I will be looking for something a little beefier .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Gamer do you have a link to the Craigslist industrial canopies ? I bought a canopy from WalMart a couple of years ago if that packs it in I will be looking for something a little beefier .
    Arctic Lake
    Sure. Here you go. https://www.budgetshelves.com/

I got 4 walls with it that have long windows on 3 of them and one with zipper door all for roughly $300. I have used it in the rain and none leaked through.

Here is the Craigslist link https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...986980391.html
    Last edited by gamer; 10-18-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Pack a sawzall ...as I guarantee that pop up tends to turn into a kite if a high wind kicks in .... if that happens you’ll never get it back in the sack in came in ... Hahahaha
    Last edited by Ferenc; 10-18-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer View Post
    Sure. Here you go. https://www.budgetshelves.com/

I got 4 walls with it that have long windows on 3 of them and one with zipper door all for roughly $300. I have used it in the rain and none leaked through.

Here is the Craigslist link https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...986980391.html
    Gamer Thanks for posting the links !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !