Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer calls

Deer calls

Did not want interfere with a similar thread so started this one . Could you fellas recommend some deer calls to be used during the rut . What brand ? I bought a rattling bag . I may get a chance to actually get out hunting but not sure but want to be prepared
    As Always Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer calls

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Did not want interfere with a similar thread so started this one . Could you fellas recommend some deer calls to be used during the rut . What brand ? I bought a rattling bag . I may get a chance to actually get out hunting but not sure but want to be prepared
    As Always Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    GRUNT TUBE, never leave home without it. I'v had deer come from hundreds of yards away to investigate the grunt.

Is that for all species?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    As Always Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    I shot my biggest blacktail ever several years back on 31 Oct. Was about 9am, very quiet clear cool morning. Gave a couple light rattles followed by a couple soft grunts. About 10 minutes later I heard a distinct grunt, looked and a heavy 4x3 blacktail buck was coming in, thick neck and stiff legged. Shot him at about 30 yards.

When it comes to calls, you never know. But I know for fact that my biggest blacktail and second biggest whitetail came into light rattling/ soft grunt. I use a smallish set of 4x4 wt antlers and dont go too crazy for blacktail. I start by almost tickling them together and dont get too agressive

I have never had any real consistency with doe calls except to get some deer to look up in thick bush, or calling in bears with them
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-02-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Grunt tubes work great.Called in whitetails and mulies.I have one that works on inhale and exhale.I usually just blow it but one mule deer buck I killed at 30 feet wanted to attack me when I inhaled and exhaled rapidly as if to simulate a buck breading a doe.He came toward me with his head down slapping his antlers against the buck brush as he approached me with his back arched and hind legs tucked under ready to charge and fight.His hair was all bristled up on his back up to his neck.It was quite a sight.At about 30 feet I called one more time with a short grunt as the call was in my mouth as I was aiming at him.He stopped and lifted his head as I was standing on the deer trail as if to say WTF and blam,down he he goes with a bullet through his chest into his heart.Nov.20th in full rut.I passed up a lot of bucks to get this one.A nice heavy 4 point with sticker point as well.Played around calling other bucks in all week where we were camped.
    That was an exceptional time that I have not since repeated.The rut was in full swing and I hiked into an area that was undisturbed and the bucks were cruising.
    I always have a call around my neck with my binoculars as standard equipment when hunting deer.

Thanks to you fellas that replied ! Can you recommend the best brand of grunt tube ?
    Arctic Lake

True talker grunt is my top choice for a grunt.

Primose estrus bleat is another go to for the rut

cmeer deer call for a communication bleat I use all season. It draws a deers curiosity enough to make them come back for a look if you startle them and they don’t know what you are. Good close range call to create opportunities in the timber when you can hear a deer walking and can’t see it.

rattling you just can’t beat real antlers but rattle bags do work till you shoot a buck. A set of two point antlers work fine even

These are my go to set of calls

Thanks for the information Wild One !
    Arctic Lake

I have 5 grunt tubes, the each have their own sound.
    which one is right? is decided on the day that it actually brings in a buck, til then they are all crap )
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    I have 5 grunt tubes, the each have their own sound.
    which one is right? is decided on the day that it actually brings in a buck, til then they are all crap )
    LOL !
    Arctic Lake