Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two way radiosi ?

Re: Two way radiosi ?

Kenwood, have 3, all work great

I just received a UV 5R I ordered on Amazon.com arrived in about a week without a hitch... I guess some vendors check and others don’t?

Quote Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
    I tried to get 2X Baofeng radios on Amazon recently. The order was accepted, then next day received notice that they weren’t available in Canada. I have Icom vhf’s in my pickup and travel trailer, but handhelds would have been nice.
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Swampthing did you buy the programming kit then ?
    It seems as though Ratherbefishing and I are trying to find out the best way to get a good handheld and get it programmed as well
    ArcticLake
    No i didnt. I gave them to a co worker that said she had the kit and would get it done! Havent heard back from her yet?

1st time I've actually found anything about fines/penalties. No wonder since they call them "Administrative Monetary Penalties". Hilarous. Anyhow, here's a link. Depending on the type of violation, either Type 1 or Type 2 and whether it is an individual or corporation, things can get pricey in a hurry!

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf10972.html

There should be a sticky thread on this subject since it seems to crop up quite regularly....

This vid is a good summary of radio use on an FSR. Aimed at sledders, but applicable to any recreational user of logging roads.

https://youtu.be/3BxtYsIAjgY
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-09-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

You do not need a kit to program the radios, it is just easier to put a lot of channels in at once. That is what the key pad is for you enter in the channels you want any time any where
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Sounds as though commercial users WANT everybody using the FSRs to have radios for safety’s sake...maybe the penalties are for abusers ,not users of the channels.IMO Radios are not for chat lines or social use ,but necessary communication and that would be my reason for getting something capable of doing the job.I see the highway flag people using radios,any idea what they use ?
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-10-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Sounds as though commercial users WANT everybody using the FSRs to have radios for safety’s sake...maybe the penalties are for abusers ,not users of the channels.IMO Radios are not for chat lines or social use ,but necessary communication and that would be my reason for getting something capable of doing the job.I see the highway flag people using radios,any idea what they use ?
    Of course they do, no one wants a mishap or worse, loss of life. That doesn't negate the legal requirement for a radio to be licensed. Flaggers use land mobile VHFs that are the subject of this thread, probably Kenwoods not Baofengs! More info here. They pretty much spell it out for you.

"The standard bank of resource road mobile radio channels is available, to those with mobile radio licenses, for programming at local commercial mobile radio shops."

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...communications

Last edited by mike31154; 10-10-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Hmm one, day trying to contact dispatch in remote area..true emergency situation..had 2 goof hunters chatting about the second thing they would do once home..20 minutes could not get through..grrrrr
    The handheld porgramable radios are even better than most folks realize. .with some basic channels and know how one can access powerful province wide relay systems...I would never hesitate to access in an emergency..literally not a location in region 5 I could not access emergency numbers or even all landline communications. .think home telephone numbers..
    SPOT.., SATPHONE, INREACH all are great for emergencies...5 watt are typically good for keeping in touch with hunting patners..seldom more than 5 km apart
    Srupp

I bought the baofeng programming kit.
    It came with a small cd/dvd and a cord
    The cd/dvd is too small to work in my macbook and wouldn't work in my work computer.

Ended up just programming them by hand with the keypad.

We were hunting where cell phones worked fine( Kamloops) ,but I would still like to get two wayradios ,where’s the best place to get Beofangs in Canada ?
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-17-2019 at 08:09 AM.