Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two way radiosi ?

Hybrid View

Two way radiosi ?

I got a set of ‘talk about’ two way radios,useless...any good options? What about Beofang? Are they available in Canada ?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Two way radiosi ?

Ratherbefishin Here is a thread on radios http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Baofeng-Radios.
    I'm still looking as well, so maybe there is some new/recent purchases and members can chime in !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

446SHOP have 8watt baofeng radios. $35 to $60. Takes about 14 to 16 days shipping. Not much on Ebay and Amazon is slim pickings too. I used these guys for the last 3 that I got for friends. 5watts are 35-37 bucks. Radioditty are rebranded Baofeng. Baofeng Canada will get you a radio quicker but a bit pricier. Still a fair amount of suppliers out there.

What’s the legal implications,if any of these 8 watt radios in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    What’s the legal implications,if any of these 8 watt radios in Canada?
    Each radio must be licensed, programming in the field is unlawful. Likelihood of getting caught remote if you use it responsibly. Inform thyself, plenty info if you care to search. Frequency allocation controlled thru or was controlled thru Spectrum Direct, Industry Canada. The major concern is interference of unlicensed users with licensed users that pay for the frequency, not to mention emergency services. It's just under $50 annually to maintain the license required.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Each radio must be licensed, programming in the field is unlawful. Likelihood of getting caught remote if you use it responsibly. Inform thyself, plenty info if you care to search. Frequency allocation controlled thru or was controlled thru Spectrum Direct, Industry Canada. The major concern is interference of unlicensed users with licensed users that pay for the frequency, not to mention emergency services. It's just under $50 annually to maintain the license required.
    Mike 31154 I'm thinking $50.00 a year to be legal is not that much . Now having said that what handled radio brand and what sort of power should you one get that has very good range in real distance not some fake distance that can not be achieved .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Mike 31154 I'm thinking $50.00 a year to be legal is not that much . Now having said that what handled radio brand and what sort of power should you one get that has very good range in real distance not some fake distance that can not be achieved .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    I think all handhelds regardless of brand are supposed to be limited to 8 watts max. power. A vehicle mounted set is more powerful & has better range since there's generally an antenna mounted on the outside of the vehicle. You can get vehicle mounted antennas for you handheld to help the range. The big factor with any VHF radio is terrain. Depending on where you are & where the radio you are contacting is makes a huge difference in the mountains. This is why many commercial users with tenures will often have permanently installed repeaters in mountainous areas. For a group of hunting buddies, handhelds should work fine provided you're not too far apart in a mountainous area.

Its my understanding they are illegal but whos checking! I took one to get it programmed and the radio shop guy told me it was illegal for him to program it. He told me to go to ebay and buy a programming "kit".

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Its my understanding they are illegal but whos checking! I took one to get it programmed and the radio shop guy told me it was illegal for him to program it. He told me to go to ebay and buy a programming "kit".
    Swampthing did you buy the programming kit then ?
    It seems as though Ratherbefishing and I are trying to find out the best way to get a good handheld and get it programmed as well
    ArcticLake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Swampthing did you buy the programming kit then ?
    It seems as though Ratherbefishing and I are trying to find out the best way to get a good handheld and get it programmed as well
    ArcticLake
    No i didnt. I gave them to a co worker that said she had the kit and would get it done! Havent heard back from her yet?