Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two way radiosi ?

Re: Two way radiosi ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    Fleetwood is good to deal with and you can get patch cord from him to plug your radio into the computer and down load a program called Chirp and you can program yourself. Also you do not even need a computer they have a keypad do you can program anytime anywhere. You can also just get lists of channels on line to program
    Front panel programmable radios are also "illegal."
    My plan if I ever get caught is to plead ignorance and ebay.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Maglic View Post
    You can get them at https://www.fleetwooddp.com/ . I got 2X Baofeng last year there together with programming software and cable.
    Thanks, I’ll give them a whirl

Can you buy them in the US and simply declare them with any other goods you are bringing back?

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    What’s the legal implications,if any of these 8 watt radios in Canada?
    Each radio must be licensed, programming in the field is unlawful. Likelihood of getting caught remote if you use it responsibly. Inform thyself, plenty info if you care to search. Frequency allocation controlled thru or was controlled thru Spectrum Direct, Industry Canada. The major concern is interference of unlicensed users with licensed users that pay for the frequency, not to mention emergency services. It's just under $50 annually to maintain the license required.

All we would be using it for is sporadic contact in the field ,maybe once or twice a year .I like the increased range in case of an emergency ,someone in our party lost or hurt and a ‘talkabout’ is basically useless ,gives you a false sense of security,worst case scenario is needing it and it doesn’t work
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-09-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

It is like j walking or tearing the label of a toy that is punishable by imprisonment . There are thousands of them being used, and not a problem. You are not down town walking over someone else's radio channels. Am I advising you break the laws? No I would not say that, but I am saying thousands are used with key pads, they are sold in Canada and who will be doing the checking when 30 miles back in bush when you talk to your buddy. To me it is a valuable safety item to have in case of emergency. If it can safe a life I will deal with consequences later if any
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    All we would be using it for is sporadic contact in the field ,maybe once or twice a year .I like the increased range in case of an emergency ,someone in our party lost or hurt and a ‘talkabout’ is basically useless ,gives you a false sense of security,worst case scenario is needing it and it doesn’t work
    Mine has come in useful on many occasions, perhaps not critical, but situation(s) had the potential do escalate. I have a Kenwood that is licensed, but it's only an 8 channel, non programmable. The build quality is superior to the Baofeng. I don't venture afield without one. As long as you are not transmitting on an unlicensed radio, I don't think you are breaking the law. Monitoring can be just as useful, particularly on a busy FSR. Truckers will appreciated knowing you're on the road too and are unlikely to turn you in. You asked for the legal ramifications, I tried to provide some info. I ski tour in the backcountry during the winter. Little chance of interfering with any emergency freqs in no man's land, just need to be aware of freqs. that may be in use in the area. One of the lodges I've been to a number of times now provides each guest with a Baofeng. Do they pay for 30 some licenses at $50 a shot, unlikely. But they do own & pay for a frequency for their tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Each radio must be licensed, programming in the field is unlawful. Likelihood of getting caught remote if you use it responsibly. Inform thyself, plenty info if you care to search. Frequency allocation controlled thru or was controlled thru Spectrum Direct, Industry Canada. The major concern is interference of unlicensed users with licensed users that pay for the frequency, not to mention emergency services. It's just under $50 annually to maintain the license required.
    Mike 31154 I'm thinking $50.00 a year to be legal is not that much . Now having said that what handled radio brand and what sort of power should you one get that has very good range in real distance not some fake distance that can not be achieved .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

To make your Baofeng "legal" there is now a software option----VFO LOCKOUT----- that prohibits feild programing, prevents unauthorized users from tampering or accidentally changing frequencies or options. Got a new UV 82HP yesterday and this info is in the instruction manual. Bunch of missing info in the manual as to radio operation but the "MENU" settings section is the best so far at explaining how to set the menu up. This UV 82hp was sold as a 5watt radio but tests 9.2watts. So better than any 8watt radios that I have ordered so far. On the other end I have a UV 9R PLUS 15watt radio that only tests 5.6/5.8 watts. Who knows what the put in the box???? Down load the UV 82HP manual for some good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Mike 31154 I'm thinking $50.00 a year to be legal is not that much . Now having said that what handled radio brand and what sort of power should you one get that has very good range in real distance not some fake distance that can not be achieved .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    I think all handhelds regardless of brand are supposed to be limited to 8 watts max. power. A vehicle mounted set is more powerful & has better range since there's generally an antenna mounted on the outside of the vehicle. You can get vehicle mounted antennas for you handheld to help the range. The big factor with any VHF radio is terrain. Depending on where you are & where the radio you are contacting is makes a huge difference in the mountains. This is why many commercial users with tenures will often have permanently installed repeaters in mountainous areas. For a group of hunting buddies, handhelds should work fine provided you're not too far apart in a mountainous area.