Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question - Bears

Question - Bears

I'm FINALLY going to get out later this week. I haven't been in the woods for at least a month now. Work, Kids, Etc.

Anyway, my 'stomping grounds' are in 3-20 up around 4,000' - 4,500' - I know there's been a bit of snow already and the temps are around freezing.

Think the bears are still out and about?

Out my backdoor is that elevation - I don't really want to go explore more territory right now because my time is limited.

It will mostly be a walk in the woods with a rifle but I'm wondering if I should consider trying to find a spot at lower elevation.

Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and see some antlers.

2. Site Sponsor

Smile Re: Question - Bears

As soon as I saw the title, I read it as:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Question: which bear is better!? Black bear or brown bear?

Sorry dude, i couldn't resist.

I asked the same question and was told that it's tough hunting for bears in late fall, different from spring bear hunt
    Last edited by DeepJeep; 10-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Re: Question - Bears

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post

Answer: Black Bear!

A Boo Boo Bear...

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post

I asked the same question and was told that it's tough hunting for bears in late fall, different from spring bear hunt

Just saw 2 different black bears very close to there on the weekend.

Personally I’d be looking a bit lower ?
    two black bears taken two weekends in a row with my group one at 1100 and one at 975.

didn’t see much for sign above 1400, though I wouldn’t doubt if the big bruisers already started headed up to hibernate ? Never know unless you try ! Definitely have deer tags with you as well though now that it’s snowed it should get things started !

Yeah, I'm really going to go hiking looking for deer in the early AM. I might take the dog out for grouse in the afternoons. I always keep the rifle in the truck in case we bump into anything other than birds - I can hike back and change tactics.

I buy a tag for EVERYTHING. It's so inexpensive - why not be prepared? Who knows when I might bump into a kitty kat?

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Personally I’d be looking a bit lower ?
    two black bears taken two weekends in a row with my group one at 1100 and one at 975.

didn’t see much for sign above 1400, though I wouldn’t doubt if the big bruisers already started headed up to hibernate ? Never know unless you try ! Definitely have deer tags with you as well though now that it’s snowed it should get things started !

Lower elevations will hold the majority of the bears that are not yet in the den. Look for rose hips

I was up fairly high on the weekend region 5 ( just at the snow line). Saw bear tracks all over the place in the mud and dusting of snow up there.

Couldn’t find one.... Just Moose ( found two bulls just after talking to a couple road hunters with a draw)

I’ll probably try the same area again this week for a bear. Hope they haven’t moved on yet.

saw one set of bear tracks this morning. and one of coyote. not a sign of a deer. i got my 10,000 steps before 8 am this morning.

damn cold where i am. thermometer on my truck said 13 deg F.