Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kamloops area next week

Kamloops area next week

So, with my week off next week I think I’ve decided on going and trying around Kamloops, will be my first time in the area and not really sure where to get started, I’ve been poking around at old threads on here but there’s a lot of them and a lot of mixed info. Wondering if anyone has pointers, or if anyone from the area would like to get out and show me around a little I’d be up for that too, feel free to shoot me a pm.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kamloops area next week

Savana north was my favorite area years back,,loots of mulies earlie,,havent been there lately thou..red lake,,deadman creeck,,etc..bears too..

If Jelly was here, he'd say Wallachin!
    I have to check that area out as well.
    I thought over by ?Hat Creek was kind of a waste of time, unless you hike up the burn from years past.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    If Jelly was here, he'd say Wallachin!
    I have to check that area out as well.
    I thought over by ?Hat Creek was kind of a waste of time, unless you hike up the burn from years past.
    I’ve been around hat creek before, I’ve only seen does or nothing at all, had ok luck down the road but not sure about vehicle closures from the fire a few years ago, also debating checking out Vernon or Kelowna.

Firstly if you found does there are always bucks near by, maybe not right beside them and maybe not huge ones but the does are almost never alone.

everywhere mentioned so far can produce for you if you put the leg work in. Key word leg, hundreds of hunters drive the roads the animals aren’t stupid.

watch road conditions for snow as well, all this wet snow and ground being thawed can cause slides and washouts so make sure there are two ways in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Firstly if you found does there are always bucks near by, maybe not right beside them and maybe not huge ones but the does are almost never alone.

everywhere mentioned so far can produce for you if you put the leg work in. Key word leg, hundreds of hunters drive the roads the animals aren’t stupid.

watch road conditions for snow as well, all this wet snow and ground being thawed can cause slides and washouts so make sure there are two ways in and out.
    Yea I don’t mind getting out and hiking around, I pretty much always see something as soon as I’m off the road, I just don’t like to waste time in an area if there’s nothing around, I’d be plenty happy with just a spike if I can find one,it’s just me in the house that eats it anyway.
    Last edited by russm; 10-08-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    I just don’t like to waste time in an area if there’s nothing around
    that's funny...

Not sure I'm much help as I've been unsuccessful to date, although I've found plenty of sign & a few close encounters. 3 main areas I've focused on in my region south east of Kamloops. Up around Monashee pass off Hwy 6, along the Chase/Falkland corridor and closer to home up on the Aberdeen plateau near Oyama Lake. Last couple seasons I've come across increased evidence of wolves. North of Falkland I found what was clearly a set of wolf tracks in pursuit of an ungulate. 2 years ago up in the Monashees I could hear them howling. No sign of wolves up around Oyama, but it's also closer to civilization & probably more pressure but if you're willing to do some walking, that area has plenty to explore. A friend of mine regularly hunts "the Big White area" & has had success early season with his son.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Not sure I'm much help as I've been unsuccessful to date, although I've found plenty of sign & a few close encounters. 3 main areas I've focused on in my region south east of Kamloops. Up around Monashee pass off Hwy 6, along the Chase/Falkland corridor and closer to home up on the Aberdeen plateau near Oyama Lake. Last couple seasons I've come across increased evidence of wolves. North of Falkland I found what was clearly a set of wolf tracks in pursuit of an ungulate. 2 years ago up in the Monashees I could hear them howling. No sign of wolves up around Oyama, but it's also closer to civilization & probably more pressure but if you're willing to do some walking, that area has plenty to explore. A friend of mine regularly hunts "the Big White area" & has had success early season with his son.
    tonnes of wolves through there. Have seen over a dozen this year already... when I’ll learn to keep my gun upfront with the magazine in reach who knows.

I've always preferred Reg 8 as there are generally quite a few more young and dumb whities around than region 3, plus the areas south of Kamloops (and closer north areas like Copper Cr) are extremely pressured by the LM crowd on top of the Kamloops crowd. Last few times I have been to Red Lk area has been a total shitshow of hunter traffic! Not what I'm into whether getting on foot or not.