Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in tweed

Hunting in tweed

I'm curious to know, does anyone hunt (or has anyone hunted )wearing tweed here in BC?

While pretty much all of the gear marketed to us in North America is camo (and I love my Kuiu and Sitka just as much as the next guy), traditionally, hunting has been a gentleman's sport and tweed was considered the ideal fabric for outdoor pursuits due to warmth, breathability, and toughness. The idea that you can dress with class while still being practical as a hunter appeals to me.

Obviously the terrain and conditions here in BC are different than on the British Isles, but given tweed is used for upland game and deer stalking, I was wondering if anyone has experience with it here in BC or anywhere in North America really.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting in tweed

Is that with or without a tie and knickerbockers?
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

Ha! Knickerbockers for hunting sounds like a chore. Breeks (plus two's or plus four's) for sure though.

https://images.app.goo.gl/97HQQsRfRjSeC8VA8
    Last edited by suburbboy; 10-08-2019 at 02:25 AM.

Of course, you can hunt in tweed, with perfect satisfaction.
    We hunted successfully for years with check pattern wool coats by Woods or Pendleton Mills, long before camo hit the gamefields.
    A modern British tweed shooting coat with tight fitting collar, baffled zipper and extra liner for warmth would be lovely.
    I have a Yorkshire shooting jacket by Hebden Cord that is more a fair weather upland coat, and a wool (not British) hunting coat in Loden colour.
    We in North America, tend to be a little harder on our hunting clothes, not having the Ghillie to do all the heavy work. Your fine British Tweed coat might need a little more care than synthetic fabric.

Good to know, saskbooknut. I don't think I'm ready to rock the flat cap, but I was looking at this set of clothing and am interested in trying it out (and there's a lightly insulated waistcoat with big pockets for ammunition in there too).

The main concerns I have are: (1) Will it be able to withstand the rain, snow, dirt, and mud that are so often a part of big game hunting here (if I take care of the clothes). This is less of a concern for walking on trails for upland game. (2) Will the dark tweed pattern be a significant downgrade from the camouflage patterns that most of us use today (and I know that the primary factors in camouflage are scent, sound, and stillness)

To me, that is putting fashion above function.

Looks expensive and uncomfortable. At least brands like Sitka are incredibly light, water proof, and pushing the limits of new outdoor gear technology

That looks like a very expensive way to get similar effects of army wool pants and a flannel.

But whatever gets you hunting!
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC

If I can hunt successfully in shorts and a wife beater I am pretty sure you can where whatever you want and go hunting. Hell I have threatened to go on a spring bear hunt in a g string and camo body paint but for some reason no one wanted to go with me

Whoa there, Wool German Army pants are still the best hunting pants ever, with Swedish ones as second choice.

I'm A Scot so YEA ! RJ

I'm thinking buckskin & moccasins are more appropriate around these here parts. Pioneers, settlers & voyageurs were hardly gentlemen even though many came from the old country! They were badass. No man bun required either.... Up in the Monashees my Goretex blue coat from the air force, camo snowboard pants, & fur lined mukluks hand made by my ex wife are just the ticket. Tweed would be pretty useless on a day like this.

P.S. note to self, the deer have all left for lower ground!