Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is everyone’s moose pictures ?

Re: Where is everyone’s moose pictures ?

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by geo guy View Post
    Figured out how to post the images kept getting file size errors. Anyways here is my first moose.

First two days of the hunt we were limited to the tent as it was raining and snowing pretty heavy. On the end of day two it cleared up a bit and we hiked down to the end of the lake where we had heard a cow calling. Partner let out a couple cow calls and an cow came out to see what was going on. It was getting dark so we headed back to camp. Next day rain all morning more time in the tent around 3pm I walked out to the lake and looked towards where we saw the cow. I can see a large white spot by a tree that looks out of place with my bare eyes. This is about 3-4km away from camp. Watching it it begins to move and a second spot appears next to it. BULL! and a big bull, I grab my binocs and get a better look. Hes big, because of the distance and lake edge I can only see his antler no body or head. We quickly grab our rifles and packs and head off despite the rain.

As we close the distance we dip out of sight of him but we know where hes going and why. When we get to within 1000yrds we can still see he is there but close to the timber. When we get to about 500yrds hes disappeared on us. But now there is a small bull in front of us about 200yrds out. There is no way I can shoot a small bull on day 3 of a 12 day hunt after seeing a monster so close. As we continue to sneak up the little bull disappears as well and there is no sign of the big guy. We watch where the big bull was for a couple hours and let out a couple grunts to see if we can entice him to come out again, thinking that maybe he was chasing the little bull away. No luck no sign of him. We head back to camp thinking about whether or not we took the best approach on getting to the big bull and if we should have shot the little one for good meat.

Next day we plan to get an early start and head to where we just saw the big guy the night before. Wake up to snow and get a late start. Dont get to the spot until about 10am. We watch for about 15 minutes before we start to get a bit cold and impatient. I decide to let out a cow call. The big bull comes running out of the timber. We can see his paddles moving through the short trees. then he stops at the edge of them we can clearly see his head and antlers but the rest of him is still in the trees. hes at about 260yrds. He stands there for about 2 mins just looking for where the call came from. I want to take the shot but know I cant because I cant see body. He then turns around and start heading back into the bush. I asked myself if I blew my chance on him. I quickly let out a second call and he turns back around and starts running into the buck brush but is still behind one tree. He stops again and starts looking around again obscured, behind the only tree in a sea of buck brush. He then takes a couple more steps and stops. Hes now 240 yrds out with the front half exposed quatering me. This is it, the shot I had been waiting for. Line up and shoot, partner is ready to shoot as well dont want him getting in the lake. I squeeze and boom. He disappears, my partner is annoyed cause he didnt even get to shoot. The bull just dropped didnt move an inch. He described it like the shots you see on TV where they just fold up and go down instantly.

We make our way over to where we think he is and find him, he was dead instantly, nice clean kill no suffering at all. We then proceeded to butcher and pack him back to camp for the next three days. After that we spent the rest of the trip fly fishing and hunting sheep and caribou. Caught a few nice rainbows in the 3-4lb range saw some animals but no shooters.

Bull was really interesting because he has matching folds on each paddle as well as matching hooked brow tines. Measured around 55 inches. Not bad for my first moose.
    That's a beautiful bull. Especially for your first one!
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

My first moose. Been on several moose hunts but first time squeezing the trigger on a bull for me. LEH hunt, had two tags but only able to full the one. Was pretty grim for first few days, barely saw a living thing other than grouse. Then started seeing the odd cow. Found this guy with two cows. Only other bull we saw was with a cow and she wouldnt get out of the way, so no shot. Anyway still a good time and good meat for the freezer.

Arctic lake, curious what area your LEH was? Ours was 5-15D. Just wondering if if was just us that was not seeing much....

NO MAN IS A FAILURE UNTIL HE REFUSES TO GET BACK UP...

https://imgur.com/a/akdyTLZ

Another Testsa River bull.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Bustercluck. Good story and pics ! That old Honda did the trick though !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Nice first moose RustyRipper. No LEH for me this year that’s why Istrted the thread was getting moose sick from not seeing anyone’s recent successes LOL !
    Arctic Lake

Dakoda62. Nice moose do you have a story to go with it ?
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Dakoda62. Nice moose do you have a story to go with it ?
    Arctic Lake
    I will write one up\
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

First moose hopefully this pic is better. Called in to 80 yards could see it coming from 200 yards away in the willows grunting and raking the bushes it was hard to see how big he was. At 80 yards he walk out in the open and my dad say "holy $%^&#@ look how big it is". I shot it at 80 yards with my 1885 high wall in 45-70 350gr speer hotcore. one shot down it went nose fist into the ground and the ass end almost come over the front end.

Nice moose guys.

rustyripper.....what’s the story with the elk ( big bull in the truck ) in your photobucket album???