Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is everyone’s moose pictures ?

Re: Where is everyone’s moose pictures ?

Geo Guy Way to go man, that's a great one ! Your first one too ! YeeHa ! That's a great moose for a novice or seasoned moose hunter !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

The fronts on that moose are bonkers

Nice work!!!!
    Because in a sense, it's the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was because of who we've become. Which is, after all, why we left.

Bernard Stevens

17 friends applied for a draw but no one got it. 1 guide outfitter is hunting moose. Maybe he got all the draws.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

That’s a nice moose as well ! Moose country in the backround Happy Hunter in the boat . Way to go ! Do you have a story to go with the picture ?
    Arctic Lake [ QUOTE=fuzzybiscuit;2122038]Our Late September Bull.

[/QUOTE]
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Awesome pics and stories guys! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Tagged out a couple weeks ago on leh. Used my grandmothers old pre 64 .375 h&h, with a stock I built myself. Was a pretty special hunt.

https://i.imgur.com/x5kXkB1.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/JNK5e8e.jpg
    That rifle looks awesome!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Beautiful Bulls there guys...geo that is a hell of a bull...

Working on it... should have them tomorrow probably.

my first moose

This year was my nephews first moose hunting trip. In typical fashion, I got off of nightshift, took a nap for an hour, loaded my gear and went hunting for 6 days. It was a bit of a tough go the first few days, we didn't see too much for fresh sign and nothing seemed to be coming to the call. We ran into several black bears, but no moose. On day 4 I was feeling a little bit guilty about leaving my wife at home so much lately that I called and told her I'd be home early. She replied with 'I'd rather you just stay out there until you get one so you don't have to go out again next days off". So there I was with the blessing to stay out for all of my days off.

Then on day 5 we made a plan where my brother and nephew went one direction and I went the other down to this little pond I found the day before. I started through the bush before first light making a long cow call every 20 mins while I slowly walked to my spot. Once I was on the edge of a bank over looking this nice pond, I hung my day bag on a tree and leaned my rifle against it, timing calls. It was extremely windy that day and I wasn't sure wether I should call into the wind and maybe give my scent up or call against the wind and limit how far it would go. After a quick self assessment I figured if there was a bull nearby he'd be down windish of me and a bit east or west so I decided to call with the wind and hope for the best. After 2-3 hours I was feeling a bit defeated and started losing interest in what I was doing. I started day-dreaming a bit and thinking about things I should be doing at home when I took one step to the right and noticed a black thing behind a tree. And then I moved slightly more to the right and found this bull that snuck up on me to just over 100 yards without me noticing and standing right in the water at the edge of the pond. I went back to grab my bag and rifle off of the tree with plans of laying down for a nice prone shot, but he heard me right away and started staring right at me between 2 trees and a couple branches. He was head on and I was looking slightly downhill at him and I knew it was a bad shot if I were to miss, but I panicked a little bit and fired one off anyways. He turned broadside and was making a move back towards the tress and I fired another one behind the front shoulder, he took a couple more steps and now I'm wondering what's going on with my rifle and I fire the last one in my mag aiming for another lung shot. After the second shot he went down like a ton of bricks and made one head wiggle and that was it.

It was so windy out the boys didn't even hear my shots. I went back to camp and started packing up our cleaning supplies, took the rack off my quad for transport and they still didn't show up. After a short wait I went up the road to the closest spot I figured they went into the bush and fired a couple bear bangers in the air to get their attention. 20 minutes later they showed up and we were negotiating the terrain, trying to get my quad into position to haul the animal out. By 1 a.m. we were back to town with the meat hanging in the garage ready for the butcher. Talk about a long day...

Upon closer inspection I found my first shot through his antler and the second 2 were both double lung shots. The first lung shot would have finished him quite easily if I would have waited a few seconds, but we all know how these things go. Luckily, after I put the first one through his antler he actually took a few steps out of the water, which made it a whole easier to deal with.

I'll post a pic of my brother's early 80s vintage honda trike too. We had that thing loaded right up. Kind of funny to see.

Last edited by Bustercluck; 10-18-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.