Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Season Mule Deer Hunt

Late Season Mule Deer Hunt

Call me crazy but this year I want to test myself and my gear and do a backpack hunt for 4-5 days somewhere in region 3 or 5. Looking at the last week of November. Where would you go?
    I love the areas close to the Fraser myself, Big Bar, Empire, Churn,?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Late Season Mule Deer Hunt

Looking at +10 to -32 temps in November along the Fraser. Could have no snow, could have knee deep snow plus drifts... it's all fun though.

Anywhere along the river is pretty good. Gets hammered hard. But the reality is there''s more than plenty of area to hunt... even though most guys want to hunt the same spots as everyone else.

Ya the -32 thing might change the plans a bit!

i been in the churn at minus 35 lots to plan and prepare for those type of conditions.if you need help good chance no one around

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    i been in the churn at minus 35 lots to plan and prepare for those type of conditions.if you need help good chance no one around
    and you must remember it can go from -5 to -30 overnight up in that stretch .... that can get you into some real trouble quick.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    and you must remember it can go from -5 to -30 overnight up in that stretch .... that can get you into some real trouble quick.
    From +15 to -30 I would say.
    But yes, be careful as it can change temps like flipping a switch over night!!!
    And when it does get down around that temp, it is frickin cold.
    Especially if you aint prepared. (so yes, good advice to keep in mind)

Sounds like a great adventure. I have spent many days hunting the fraser and always have fun! Pick a spot. Moving locations may be wise as well. Lots of looking!

guest Guest

Keep in mind water can be a real issue in some of the Fraser breaks area. And melting snows a pain in the arse time required. Its a beautiful area. And yes for those that work hard there are still some great bucks off the Fraser Breaks late migration. Buddy up 4 eyes instead of 2 searching with the understanding of 1 biggin Buckwheat between you. The experience is very cool. Good luck to you.

Water is actually my main concern. I have done a few of these trips and finding water and keeping it thawed are challenging.

Great idea. Done it 4 years myself (at 54,55,56,57) ..planning to this year as well.
    2 things are important:
    it’s dark early, so long nights in the tent. Plan on reading lots with a candle lantern for heat.
    water is precious.
    enjoy your own company