Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We had a week long Region 8 October hunt and I have some questions.....frustrated

Re: We had a week long Region 8 October hunt and I have some questions.....frustrated

Thanks for all the input. It's encouraging. Spending extra time glassing is something we need to add. We're not as patient as we should be when checking out cuts.

All this info is very insightful

Re: We had a week long Region 8 October hunt and I have some questions.....frustrated

Separate, get in the bush, slow right down, hunt with both ears and eyes lastly pay attention to sign

There is many ways to hunt that can be effective beyond glassing open areas. It is rare for me to shoot an animal out of a cut

You want results, spend big money and go way up north ! Where there is game !

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron600 View Post
    Will bucks ever head back up to high country after heading down to wintering grounds if the snow melts?
    If the deer are down to their wintering area in region 8 then the hunting season is over already because that usually doesnt happen till late december. Other areas where deer have a long ways to wintering grounds can be there in oct and will usually stay there. They may head up but the summer apline is just to far. You just need to find your style of hunting and try to improve on it. A member here mentioned something about glassing clearcuts, if thats his style and it works for him thats great. You need to find your own style and learn how to improve it.
    Hunting the promised land

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Like 'dino' says, it depends on the area you're hunting. As an example, deer well north of Kamloops lake
    traditionally start a true migration heading to either the north Thompson River Valley or the north shore
    area of Kamloops Lake, not going back until next spring. I've seen this phenomenon many times...all the
    deer tracks made recently and all heading in the same direction. I've been successful a couple of times
    by racing well down in elevation and getting ahead of them. Usually they're all gone though because
    they travel day and night without stopping very long.

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    Two feet of snow ,7000 feet ,counted over 60 deer, bucks and does in 3 hours.They don't leave the alpine in early snow .They hang around in the sub alpine timber and romp in the snow on the south slopes.Don't tell anyone but the mature bucks only come down for the rut and return to the sub alpine timber after to avoid predators ,human and canine.
    Nice Buck Gary ! RJ