Thread: 4 year old moose roasts

4 year old moose roasts

Cleaning out the freezer to make room for this years moose and found a couple roasts from moose shot in 2015. would you use them to make jerky or grind them up for dog food?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 4 year old moose roasts

I steal everyone's meat they deem "too old"

If wrapped properly, thaw, cook, eat

Bigger things like roast, trim off freezer burnt area (if present) then cook. Steaks are a little trickier. I marinate the steaks after trimming them. But they can taste a little like freezer paper if not marinated.

I too would just trim the exposed stuff, chop the trim up and freeze it flattened out to make breaking off meatcicles easier...my little dog starts running in circles every time I open the fridge freezer hoping for her meatcicle. The roast can always be chopped into stewing size chunks, steaks or even ground up

I won't tell you how old the meat is that I consume from time to time as it would probably result in my being chastised. Cook it up and enjoy!
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

I would do jerky!

Then take the jerky out hunting with you!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Totally edible. Might be grey on the outside, but its all pink in the middle! Eat it!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I ate a 2 year old moose tenderloin the other day that was absolutely delicious. If it's wrapped with saran and then waxed paper it lasts nearly forever.

Had some sausages the other day made 4 years ago made of meat that was already a year old. Crock pot that chunk of protein and it will eat just as good.

I did the same thing last year. [ cleaned out the freezer to make room for the new stuff ] I couldn't bring myself to tossing it out so I tried jerky. I thawed the roasts enough to shjave off the outer freezer burnt layer. 1/4 - 3/8" ? then hand sliced them while still partially frozen. then marinated for a day or so in a couple different flavour batches. then into the dehydrator. No one said they didn't like the results. [ they questioned me when I said some were about 5 years old ]