Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Reduction 5 year study

Wolf Reduction 5 year study

This just came out in August.
    Some good reading. Not at all surprised.
    I would post photos of the graph results but still haven’t figured out how to post pictures.

also just for the ones who like podcasts,

The hunting collective episode 79 with guest Dr. Valerius Geist.
    Ive read some of his stuff but never heard him on a podcast. Pretty cool stuff, lots about predators and what’s going on now with wildlife. Can link it to the caribou issues very easily.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolf Reduction 5 year study

Thanks for posting Scotty ! Do you have a link to the podcast never liistened to a podcast before . Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty76 View Post

This just came out in August.
    Some good reading. Not at all surprised.
    I would post photos of the graph results but still haven’t figured out how to post pictures.

also just for the ones who like podcasts,

The hunting collective episode 79 with guest Dr. Valerius Geist.
    Ive read some of his stuff but never heard him on a podcast. Pretty cool stuff, lots about predators and what’s going on now with wildlife. Can link it to the caribou issues very easily.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/...valerius-geist

One of the better podcasts I’ve listened to in a while.

A great report!
    Mike Bridger and the wildlife crew in the northeast are doing a solid job of decision making to recover sinking populations of caribou.....along with helping the increase of other ungulates.

Habitat recovery is very much needed to keep species balanced in the long term future but how much faster/efficiently could we do this short term recovery if bears (both grizzly & black) were to be included into the reduction program.
    My bet is we could at least double the increase percentage we are now seeing with these caribou in the study area.

Also, these reduction efforts should be broadened out and carried thru with where mountain caribou populations in BC are still strong.
    It makes a lot more sense to maintain a thriving, viable population that it does to try and recover one from the brink of extinction.

Was very informative. Thanks for the link

Besides the effectiveness of wolf reductions enhancing caribou populations, this study also shows the need for the wolf reduction to be applied to large areas.
    The number of wolves migrating into the research areas each year is staggering....
    I wish the paper gave a deeper analysis of this concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Besides the effectiveness of wolf reductions enhancing caribou populations, this study also shows the need for the wolf reduction to be applied to large areas.
    The number of wolves migrating into the research areas each year is staggering....
    I wish the paper gave a deeper analysis of this concern.
    ya, the number that caught my eye was the required removal of 85% of the wolf population every year to keep pace with new wolves moving into the area.

I just came back from the EK.
    I complained that there were wolves all over the place and that the local trapper wasn't going after them.
    Then a member here tells me there is a "new trapper" and that there are no wolves in the area I go.
    Well, last year there was little sign of them.
    This year, well, all I can say is "THERE BACK"!
    ALL OVER the place.
    And some fricking big ones in the pack from the size of the tracks.
    So this new trapper putting a dent into them is total BS.
    Well, he better get cracking...lol...I doubt it!

There is only one way to deal with these things, and we need to reduce them big time, other wise they just come back too fast.

Maybe this is a dumb question, and the answer is probably in the book already.. but can a rancher shoot wolves at night with a spot light, using a bait pile? Thinking that might be an effective way.. Or maybe there's ranchers that'd let us do the dirty work of sitting up all night waiting for them to arrive.

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

Don't think you would get more than one per pack by shooting them.

Trapping would be more effective from what I have understood. Poison works even better...