Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry two guns for the mixed bag?

Carry two guns for the mixed bag?

Today I hiked high to the alpine and carried my mixed bag combo, my 6.5 grendel bolt gun and my 22wmr little badger, with a selection of ammo Im covered for anything thats in season and it will do it quite well. The Grendel with 123gr hornadys for anything substantial and the like, 22wmr for longer range chickens bunnies and close range predators, and some 22lr subsonics for when I want the chicken but dont want to let every animal know about it. I was looking for deer today but ended up with some chickens and a coyote because the opportunity arose, wing pulled the chickens and skinned out the yote then kept lookin for deer. Who else carries two guns and takes every opportunity they are presented? who is out for the mixed bag or are you target specific?

This guy was sitting down giving me the stare down at 275yds. Seen lots this year so decided to skin one out and save a few chickens and fawns for the rest of us.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Carry two guns for the mixed bag?

I was considering using my Beretta Silver Pigeon, loaded with a slug and birdshot and using the barrel selector. If I wanted more range I could experiment with a rifled choke for the slugs to get a bit more accuracy.

I've been thinking of strapping my 30-06 to my pack (it has a rifle boot) and carrying the 12 gauge, with slugs and shot in the butt stock shell holder – use shot on small game up to 40 yards, slugs for close encounter with bear, or quick and close shot on bucks that I stumble on... Might be a little heavy of a setup to walk around with... I'm willing to try it out though
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

I usually do. I built a 10/22 takedown around being ultralight, it's about 3lbs with a box of 50 rounds in the stock and either my 6.5 creedmoor bolt or 450 marlin lever. Covers just about anything I could run into.

I carry a little badger on my pack for grouse. Works a treat!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

My favorite to carry is a single shot 20 guage with iron sights , slugs out to 125 yds and bird shot to 30

The big Muley in my avitar was taken at 110 yrds with a 16 gauge slug

I often carry my Henry Small Game Carbine with .22 shirts in it for grouse/rabbits when I have one of my bolt or big lever guns with me. Or I’ll carry my .45-70 or .357 levers on my back when the 12 gauge is in hand and I’m working my dog for birds.

It is a bit heavy going with two fullsize guns though. A little badger .22s might be a future “look into” thing.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Usually carry the Remington 30-06 and a .22 Badger but now my Son has the Badger on loan so don't know what I'll do.
    He did get a deer yesterday and regularly bags a lot of grouse and Bunnies so he's making way better use of his guns than I can.

Or y can buy combogun like mine, valmet 30-06 /12 guage,,easier carry than 2 guns..just 30-o6 and slug for deer ,,or shotty for grouse..