Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stalking blunders......

Re: Stalking blunders......

I shook off the hangover and Turkey cobwebs yesterday ...
    Pulled down the tree stand and placed it close to the new spot.(chained it up to a tree)
    Bounced deer on the way in. I didn't get a look at them... the bracken fern is brown but still towering over my head..
    Its a cotton wood swamp. Most of the cotton wood has been cut down and ceader trees have been planted...

Went back today to put the stand up...
    Had a hell of a time.
    I've got it up on an little knob which I expect was an old growth cedar stump.
    It has a 12" spruce growing out of it....
    Had to call in some reinforcements for help.
    With all the racket we scared at least one more deer out.
    I'm not far from there beds... lots of fresh sign..
    Fingers crossed they come back...
    I'll leave it for a few days and check the cameras.
    The sky point camera is pointed at the stand the other 2 are on the trails,
    I have the stand between to trails..

Back to 27 spot in the am.

27 spot is in transition... the lush cut block is now brown and barren. The deer are now feeding and bedding in the 25ft trees. Its thick and hard to hunt.

I was up there at 6;20 yesterday .. nothing but 2 other hunters. Older fellows... I had never seen anyone crap on the middle of the road... I read about it here... then saw it yesterday... kinda gross!!!!!

I'm getting a little frustrated..
    But that's black tail hunting...
    Last edited by Xbow; 10-16-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Today is return day..... Browning rain gear horrible.... rocky boots horrible.....

https://imgur.com/a/rse7prS
    These guys definitely help to pass the time some days..
    Trying the crappy tire huntshield boots... probably will be returning them them....
    Because in a sense, it's the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was because of who we've become. Which is, after all, why we left.

Bernard Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Xbow View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/rse7prS
    These guys definitely help to pass the time some days..
    Trying the crappy tire huntshield boots... probably will be returning them them....
    I tried a couple pairs of the huntsheild boots, found they are notorious for losing chunks of the bottom grips. You get a year to return for exchange, which is what I did in Sep, and upgraded to the more expensive huntdsheild hunting boot, just under $200. Took it out for one hike and same issue, little chunks taken out of the Vibram sole. Returned and asked for full refund, which they obliged, then went to Atmosphere (sister company to CT) and bought Solomon 4D hiking boots on sale, just over 200, regularly 280+tax. I wear them with gaiters and they are AWESOME. No chunks or nicks in the sole, even after some good bushwacking. Super comfortable, and quick break in. I'll eventually upgrade to Crispi's or something when I'm ready to burn $500 on boots, but probably not for a few years.

It may be called crappy tire by some (for good reason), but their warranty isn't - it's great

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    I tried a couple pairs of the huntsheild boots, found they are notorious for losing chunks of the bottom grips. You get a year to return for exchange, which is what I did in Sep, and upgraded to the more expensive huntdsheild hunting boot, just under $200. Took it out for one hike and same issue, little chunks taken out of the Vibram sole. Returned and asked for full refund, which they obliged, then went to Atmosphere (sister company to CT) and bought Solomon 4D hiking boots on sale, just over 200, regularly 280+tax. I wear them with gaiters and they are AWESOME. No chunks or nicks in the sole, even after some good bushwacking. Super comfortable, and quick break in. I'll eventually upgrade to Crispi's or something when I'm ready to burn $500 on boots, but probably not for a few

It may be called crappy tire by some (for good reason), but their warranty isn't - it's great

Cheers!
    I read this to lateJosh....

I ended up grabbing the huntshield boots...
    I've got like 6 hours in them the last 2 days.
    All valley hunting. The main thing is they haven't leaked so far.
    Tomorrow I'm heading up to elevation in the am.
    I'll see how the soles hang on..

The last few days I've been on the wood lot and in the back yard..
    The new camera placement on the private wood lot has been working out.
    I'm seeing three diffrent does and their fawns. But no bucks yet.. the tree stand placement might be a bit off..
    So I've put out some apples to lure them in.
    Up to 31 spot in the am...

The huntshield boots seem to work fine for me.... My feet are dry,the soles have not fallen apart yet and no blisters....

I went hard these last few days. Lots of rain, fog and wind. Perfect conditions.

Saw plenty of does.
    https://imgur.com/a/5elGOtQ

And one small spike. I managed to get within 10 yards of the little fella....

I let him walk... to small
    https://imgur.com/a/Ghz9hQx

I now have a pine Martin eating the apples I have placed for the deer.
    Always thought they were carnivores.... guess not. Lol

November is getting closer!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Xbow; 10-22-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Because in a sense, it's the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was because of who we've become. Which is, after all, why we left.

Bernard Stevens

Martin are carnivores but the have a sweet tooth as well and will eat berries/fruits

I picked up some scents today... I'm going to start a scrape line. I'm not sure how black tails react to them.
    The lower elevation deer seem to rut a bit earlier in my opinion..... I'll place the scrapes near the cameras.... fingers crossed for a few picks.

Had a raccoon show up at the apples last night.

F#@#8ng scent disaster!!!!!!! My hand smells like it's been up a deer's @ss.... been washing them repeatedly...
    I've been using every cleaning agent we have even the kitchen sink...... rubbing my fingers on the stainless steel helps for a bit then the smell comes back...
    Going to head down to the shop and try some WD40 next.... I can't believe I forgot to put on rubber gloves....

On a high note... had a doe come threw a shooting lane at the tree stand.
    Hopefully a buck will be following her soon.

I'm starting to remember why I stopped using scents.....