Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Inspection Region 4

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Deer Inspection Region 4

Animal broken down does not change the regs and rules. So you have to keep a patch of fur intact why not the proof of sex. Many years ago we got stopped in Chetwynd with two moose in my camper. We had to pull out the quarters and they inspected them and we also forgot to leave proof attached. We did have the heads with racks in truck also, so they were fresh, but could have been used ten times as far as they know. One CO was digging fat out of the pelvic area and checking that for some reason. So I asked the other CO what is the purpose of that. He said the fat text is different on cow than bull in that area. I said can you not see a difference in bone structure one being able to pass a calf and the other not being able. He saw other garbage bags in the camper and asked to see them. I laughed and said sure, they are actual garbage we did not leave any out there and picked up two full ones from last hunters camped there. He quickly opened two of them, one was our garbage and the other was all dirty and wet with some snow on it from laying around in camp site. Lucky for us , he believed we the two moose we had and they were bulls, and he said I could give you a find for not proof of sex, but since you brought out your trash and picked up others we appreciate that and have safe drive home. So always have proof, or bring lots of garbage lol
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    We were stopped between Creston/Cranbrook by fed conservation officers doing roadside inspections. There was a few interesting issues:

1. Ticketed for not keeping testicles attached to the deer even though it was broken down into small pieces in the field before being packed out and we retained the skull.

2. Told that I had to give up the head for cwd inspection and it would not be returned.

3. Told I needed a tag for wolf and the max was one.

Think I will challenge the ticket - I understand the reg but if the deer is broken down and deboned, retaining skull and antlers is equal proof. They also didnt inspect the meat bags - a little too bloody for the bird guys. Curious what others think.
    1. Correct. Must keep evidence on all portions of meat. We watch a lot of videos of guys breaking animals into manageable meat parts, but in BC, we have unique requirements about evidence. You also need to keep the tail attached. Head, dick and tail.
    2. Correct. The actions being taken to monitor CWD intrusion have been well advertised. Everyone knows, in R4 and 7, in specified MU's you are required to drop off the head. There are locations provided and you can submit the required portion and still keep any antlers if you require.
    3. There is no species licence for wolves. In some areas of R4 there is NBL for wolves. Otherwises it's 3.

read the regs
    understand the reg
    follow the regs to the T
    break the rules
    pay the price
    when caught

Rules are rules but stupid is stupid. I know of no hunter who has passed on a big buck because he couldn't see a penis or testicles. This is largely why they had seasons for antlered and anterless rather than bucks and does and it is why no one was ever charged for shooting an antlered doe. If the animal is boned out and the meat packed in bags, you leave the evidence of sex attached to what exactly? Does a small piece of meat suffice? If the evidence of sex is attached to one piece of meat, is the rest of the meat still legal? Does this mean an animal cannot be dismembered? Are we expected to pack an elk out in one piece? Overzealous interpretation of regulations will only breed contempt for the regulations and enforcement personell. GD

They ticket everything they can. Have to pay wages for the day.
    I have met some good CO's and some not so good.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

guest Guest

Wierd on the wolf statement. There are NO tags required for residents.
    IMO. Sorry but rules r rules. Its NO issue leaving the dick or balls on a 1/4. No big deal at all. Back packed out Bucks, Bulls, Rams and Billys, all had either the dick, balls or both still attached. We also left a tiny piece of hair on each part, yes its extreme but can be done. Recently the tail must be included, again no big deal. Know the regs and follow them. And of course bring out the headgear. As for getting it back, id follow that up.
    As for sampling the critter for CWD, again, whats the big deal, some regions and MUs have specific rules. Know them and follow them.

It’s not difficult to leave evidence of sex attached to a hind-quarter of an animal. It’s clearly laid out in the regulations as well. You will lose your challenge.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

I just came back from the kootenays with a whitetail I left the tail and the sex on as per regulations
    Stated

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    I just came back from the kootenays with a whitetail I left the tail and the sex on as per regulations
    Stated
    Well done boehm

Recent change in regulations. I add here because I find most hunters I speak with have not bothered to read the synopsis.

NOTE: To improve enforceability and
    simplify regulations, the option to use
    antlers to prove sex and species while
    transporting harvested wildlife is no longer
    available.
    Please refer to the section below
    for the new requirements while transporting
    harvested wildlife from the kill location
    to a meatcutter, owner or operator of a
    cold storage plant, or the hunters normal
    dwelling place. A person must, while
    returning from hunting, keep the antlers
    or horns of wildlife killed during an antler/
    horn restricted season (i.e., 6 pt, full curl,
    spike-fork, etc.) and the species licence
    under which the wildlife was killed, together
    and available for inspection by an officer.
    (1) For caribou, elk or moose, the
    animal’s tail or another readily
    identifiable part of the hide not less
    than 6 cm2, AND:
    (i) If the animal is male, a testicle
    or part of the penis,
    (ii) If the animal is female, a
    portion of the udder or teats.
    (2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND:
    (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or
    part of the penis,
    (ii) If the animal is female, a portion
    of the udder and teats.
    (3) For bison, mountain goat or mountain
    sheep:
    (i) If the animal is male, a testicle
    or part of the penis.
    (ii) If the animal is female, a
    portion of the udder or teats.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."