Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer Inspection Region 4

Re: Deer Inspection Region 4

Good trick we learned about the testicles and penis attached to the quarter is tie a bit of ribbon to the one bag of meat that has those. Saves time opening game bags and looking around. Yeah I call BS on the wolf tag, you don’t need one.

So the way I've always read the regs is that if it is an any buck part of the season you didn't have to pack out the head as long as you left the tail, the small patches of fur on each quarter and evidence of sex. If it was a 4 point only part of the season then the head must come out with the animal.

So ,,,,does the head of a mule deer for region 3 or 8 necessary during the month of October?

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    We were stopped between Creston/Cranbrook by fed conservation officers doing roadside inspections. There was a few interesting issues:

1. Ticketed for not keeping testicles attached to the deer even though it was broken down into small pieces in the field before being packed out and we retained the skull.

2. Told that I had to give up the head for cwd inspection and it would not be returned.

3. Told I needed a tag for wolf and the max was one.

Think I will challenge the ticket - I understand the reg but if the deer is broken down and deboned, retaining skull and antlers is equal proof. They also didnt inspect the meat bags - a little too bloody for the bird guys. Curious what others think.
    I think this situation sucks...

1. That ticket sucks.....my first instinct is fight it too....but check out Dracb's response...it is the only correct one... so your challenge, if you choose to invest the time will fail, unfortunately

2. True...head needs to go in...but who wants the head?...the Sh&*^ty thing is they may inform you it has CWD (let's all hope they don't) and then what do you do? eat it? Yikes

3. oh man...WTF?......it is either NBL or 3...and if your nailing three wolves a year your a champion.....they are not easy IMHO

When confronted with enforcement in any situation, making a left against the no left sign or forgetting to keep the dick of a buck...your best bet is to plead ignorance and ask for a warning...in this situation it sounds like you felt and where attempting to follow what many would consider the common rules....'antlers must accompany the species license'

like i said this ticket sucks....

Question...for a curious mind how much was the tickets fine?

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDog View Post
    Rules are rules but stupid is stupid. I know of no hunter who has passed on a big buck because he couldn't see a penis or testicles. This is largely why they had seasons for antlered and anterless rather than bucks and does and it is why no one was ever charged for shooting an antlered doe. If the animal is boned out and the meat packed in bags, you leave the evidence of sex attached to what exactly? Does a small piece of meat suffice? If the evidence of sex is attached to one piece of meat, is the rest of the meat still legal? Does this mean an animal cannot be dismembered? Are we expected to pack an elk out in one piece? Overzealous interpretation of regulations will only breed contempt for the regulations and enforcement personell. GD
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    They ticket everything they can. Have to pay wages for the day.
    I have met some good CO's and some not so good.
    Quick story. Should answer both questions and statements. A number of years ago, a young hunter we were with arrowed a bull elk, in an 'any elk' season. We quartered it and severed the head. 5 packs. Got it back to camp, put the 4 quarters in the cooler and set the head with antlers just outside the door to the cooler. The young lad was in taking care of the meat, and removing things like dirt, leaves, bits of hair. CO came along and issued a ticket for not leaving the head attached. This goes to the second comment above. Sometimes you meet decent CO's, sometimes you don't.

As everyone already said, the law is the law. If possible I leave head attached tail attached and proof of sex attached. Can't remove until it is ready for butchering.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmullmar View Post
    As everyone already said, the law is the law. If possible I leave head attached tail attached and proof of sex attached. Can't remove until it is ready for butchering.
    so what you’re saying is you drag every animal out whole? Must be nice to only hunt from the road,

I understand the tail for deer, the patch of fur and even the penis/teet. But what in the hell are you supposed to “leave the head attached to” it you’re boning our your meat for a long pack out !?

Canada continually has the dumbest and most useless laws that are clearly used just to generate revenue but the sheeple are OK with that, so it’ll continue.

And you you wonder why the general public hates COs and RCMP? Hmmm