Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Inspection Region 4

Deer Inspection Region 4

We were stopped between Creston/Cranbrook by fed conservation officers doing roadside inspections. There was a few interesting issues:

1. Ticketed for not keeping testicles attached to the deer even though it was broken down into small pieces in the field before being packed out and we retained the skull.

2. Told that I had to give up the head for cwd inspection and it would not be returned.

3. Told I needed a tag for wolf and the max was one.

Think I will challenge the ticket - I understand the reg but if the deer is broken down and deboned, retaining skull and antlers is equal proof. They also didnt inspect the meat bags - a little too bloody for the bird guys. Curious what others think.
    Last edited by nelsonob1; 10-04-2019 at 10:20 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer Inspection Region 4

Where would someone purchase a wolf tag would be my question. Seems like another uneducated law enforcement individual

I believe the regs state the testicles need to be attached to the deer. Just retaining skull/antler does not prove that the animal is a male. I guess someone could freeze a buck head from the current/previous year, kill a doe, chuck the head of the doe with the buck head on board and claim it was a buck they just harvested.
    Last edited by Aaron600; 10-04-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Skull and antlers are not proof of sex. There are dishonest people that would shoot a buck, keeping the head and then go out and shoot a doe using the head as proof ''THAT ITS A BUCK''. That's why you need to leave a nut or part of the penis attached. Your lucky they didn't write you up for not keeping the tail attached also. Wolf tag now that's a joke.
    (2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND: (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis, (ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder and teats. (
    I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.

What happens if you happen to shoot an antlered doe and break it down?
    Good luck explaining that

You have to leave proof of sex attached as per the regs now. Used to say proof of sex or antlers but they cleaned that up in the regs. If it's an altered doe, you still need proof of sex. Take lots of pictures before you break it down if possible too avoid questions...but perfectly legal.

You will lose the challenge if you try, do save your and everyone else's time and just pay the fine.

Number 2 is only in a few areas and they want the brain, tongue, lower jaw and part of neck

]It say's in the regulations The top left of page 18.

Quote Originally Posted by moosecamp View Post
    Skull and antlers are not proof of sex. There are dishonest people that would shoot a buck, keeping the head and then go out and shoot a doe using the head as proof ''THAT ITS A BUCK''. That's why you need to leave a nut or part of the penis attached. Your lucky they didn't write you up for not keeping the tail attached also. Wolf tag now that's a joke.
    (2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND: (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis, (ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder and teats. (
    This is right..
    and yes it's a joke about the wolf tag, as it says right n the regs that tags for wolf are not required....and some of region 4 the bag limit for wolf is 3, other areas it's NBL...

Yes I understand the regs. But it's a bag of meat. What's the difference between the antlers & head and a penis attached to a pound of meat? Minor point but I was not hunting penises.
    Last edited by nelsonob1; 10-04-2019 at 10:16 PM.