Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clinton tips, suggestions and cautions

Re: Clinton tips, suggestions and cautions

Jesmond Lookout. Drive halfway up and get out and walk or sit.
    Tons of bucks in the timber
    Hunt the base of the limestones all along Jesmond road above powerline. Burn some boot leather. It is not easy to get them as they usually see you, smell you, hear you and feel you coming fom a long ways away.

Big bucks, rarely if ever, stand out in the open along the banks of the Fraser River during hunting season. Thats a winter and spring thing.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 11-05-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Well lads and lassies it was a good hunt. Much time was spent on foot and in the stand, we climbed two mountains and in the evening good food was eaten, drink was drunk and lies were told around the fire.
    Clinton and area guarantee you deer however they did not cooperate with where we needed them to be to hunt. We saw over 300 Mule deer in our 4 days along with 15 bucks. However, they were all on private lad with in 400 meters off the road. We had three clear nights where they did not come off the private land until after shootable light. We know this because we were waiting for them up on the bench and power line. The real big boys were nocturnal, and we caught only one of them in shootable light crossing the tracks to go back up the hill very early in the morning.
    We went looking for up the Elephant Hill fire area doing the loon Lake circle. We found three shootable rams smiling at us happily from just the other side of the 3-31/3-30 border: They were on the side with no opening.
    Although there was lots of bear and cougar sign we did not see any animals. We did see a wolverine and a bob cat. We also saw lots of fresh moose sign too.
    In the end we did shoot a few grouse and had a chance at a hare too.
    I hope to learn more in this area because there is definitely an opportunity to hunt good size bucks up there (I found possibly the biggest 2 point shed I have ever seen) but not with out a good study of conditions, habits and finding the crossing points.
    One thing we did not see a lot of is wolf and coyote sign. We found only one lone wolf track.
    We also hope to mentor the landowner where we stayed in becoming a hunter too.
    I would like to write more but am pressed for time
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

Thank-you
    We found that the bucks were nocturnal:
    The nights were as clear as day almost... there are lots of wild life there

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Jesmond Lookout. Drive halfway up and get out and walk or sit.
    Tons of bucks in the timber
    Hunt the base of the limestones all along Jesmond road above powerline.

You can also try in the steep rocks up above the substation on Kelly Lake Road.

Big bucks, rarely if ever, stand out in the open along the banks of the Fraser River during hunting season.

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm with the unseasonably cold weather, and almost continuous rain since June..Clinton this time of year should be a reasonably good bet.
    as has been noted Cougar point is historically good for Cali sheep and big deer.
    I like the aspect of a small ranch in the area..alphalpha crops are natural stampede locations 15 minutes prior to dark.
    I would be pressing on towards the breaks of the mighty Fraser river...still damn fine deer to be had both body..and rack...
    Steven
    Thank-you Steve

Unfortunately the small ranch and the other one below us are horse ranches so the deer were not interested in us at all.
    The locals were not friendly until they found out we were guest staying with a land owner. Then they were just not hostile... LOL

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Also, don't sit in the last stool at the bar, that one is Charlie's and he has been sitting there for 45 years.

I have ridden with Charlie!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF