Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

Re: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Went from counting bears to counting ounces, calories and days...
    Oh yeah did I mention, myself, C-Man, My brother and Beer-Radimus got our sheep draws for up north. Without dragging it out, Beer-Radimus dropped out early, which was nice instead of cancelling at the last minute. I had an idea of where I wanted to go.

There was 'Lake A' which is not a secret, we could set up a pretty good base, hike 4-8 hours (one guy says he did it in 4 with his 5 year old, another guy says him and his buddy slugged away all day... I don't really know) to sheep country. There's for sure sheep there, but everyone knows that and there would be some competition.

There was also 'Lake B' which puts you right in sheep country and everyone knows that. So we knew it would be busy as shit. None the less C-Man started in talks to book a plane with Alpine Lakes air. Now I knew we would be limited on weight, I run 6'2" and 210-215lbs... C-man was at 6' maybe 6'1" and running 220... then my brother... 6'9" 250lbs. Just in bodies alone we're at 680lbs...

C-man came back to the group and said there was 'Lake C'. I didn't think of Lake C because I thought the guides had an exclusive on it. Start doing research on Lake C. Don't find much info on Lake C. No info means the usual, it's a Serengeti, there's nothing there or no one ever goes there. The info I did find on Lake C was "seen some goats and caribou, fishing is good too". C-man talked to someone who apparently guided in there 10 years ago or so...

Gave my little cousin a ride in my backpack, he was scared to go in at first, but after he was in there he didn't want out.

Nice pics. Keep them coming

C-man talked to someone who apparently guided in there 10 years ago or so...
    Info from 10 years ago is a long time in hunting terms. We did all agree on Lake C because how little info there was. Hunting an area to ourselves sounded better than racing other guys for critters.

We all started cutting weight. My goal was 200lbs, C-man's was 200lbs and my brothers was... I don't really know... he can't afford to lose much weight in the first place. But we wanted to get into the lake in 1 trip, and 2 if needed. At the last minute we came to the reality that we would need 2 trips in.

I was trying to monitor C-man's and my brothers gear and food. C-man went on a weekend trip up a nice little hill and my brother has done some rock climbing, but no back country expeditions. Once we agreed to a second plane, the other two kept saying things like "oh maybe I'll pack (insert piece of bullshit gear here)"

I felt like drop kicking most of their stuff out of their hands so they wouldn't bring it. It didn't come to that and they did leave behind most un-necessary gear.

Here's what food idea looked like

Here's reality of one day food (less mountain house and beef jerky)

We did score a deal at the health foods store in town. They had case lots of mountain house tins on sale. We each grabbed a case of MH tins and divided them evenly.

July 29th rolled around, I snuck away from work at 2 that day. We were already loaded and made it to Shitters for the night. Along the way we found the fake Dee Dub in Prince George

The 30th we met up with the real Dee Dub so C-man could grab the rest of his gear

Forget what time we got to Tatogga at. We got ourselves a room, went down and finalized plans with the pilot, had something to eat and then went through gear one last time.

The next morning we woke to light rain and fog. Wandered down around 8:30 and talked to the pilot. He told us to grab breakfast and then check back in a hour. A hour later we were told to check back at 1. The boss man was flying through the area and would let our pilot know what our "Lake C" was looking like.

The boss finally landed and said our area was good to go. We helped a German family get their gear loaded up as they were doing a river raft trip down some river.

After they took off, it was time for us to load up and load out.

The next morning we woke to light rain and fog. Wandered down around 8:30 and talked to the pilot. He told us to grab breakfast and then check back in a hour. A hour later we were told to check back at 1. The boss man was flying through the area and would let our pilot know what our "Lake C" was looking like.

The boss finally landed and said our area was good to go. We helped a German family get their gear loaded up as they were doing a river raft trip down some river.

After they took off, it was time for us to load up and load out.
    The people on the far left and right of the pic are Eric and his wife Pat volunteer hosts for August at Coldfish Lake.
    Last edited by Hombre; 10-07-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    The people on the far left and right of the pic are Eric and his wife Pat volunteer hosts for August at Coldfish Lake.
    Yes they are... they aren't the German family we helped with gear. They were just hanging out until it was their turn to fly out.

With no info on the lake we were going to, it was good old classic google earth. The guide from 10 years ago that C-man talked to said it was good to the south east end of the lake. Google earth told me there was a big valley to the south west with other multiple valleys running off each side of it. C-man wanted to go where somebody got a sheep 10+ years ago, I wanted to go to a spot where we can set up a main camp in a main valley and then spike out to all the different valleys.

So myself and C-man flew in the first trip in case we both saw something that looked good. We hit a little rain but landed with some nice weather. Myself and C-man started re-organizing gear while we waited for my brother. Our plan was to leave some extra gear (salt and mountain house tins, extra clothes) at the landing spot. Within a couple hours, the plane was back with my brother and some rain.

We didn't get dropped off where I wanted, but started up a "trail"... I think it was just where the bears come down to the lake. Anyways, we were stringing up our extra gear in a tree just up a trail. My brother right away said "there's a goat". C-man got my brother to talk him into the goat. The "goat" was a B&C rock, but C-man did spot an actual goat close to the rock. We're 20 minutes from my brother touching down on the lake and we threw our(I guess selfishly my) plan out the window.

We ended up going the opposite direction of where I wanted to go. But we found a place to camp. Turns out a kelty 3 man 7 pound(I didn't have to pack it) $200 tent can fit 3 of us... mostly comfortably. Did we set it up and test it before we went? No... did I have my MSR 2 man back with the other gear close to the lake? yeah. Only thing I didn't like about is it was bright green on the inside. Even though it was past shooting light outside, it was bright as shit inside the tent.

We piled in the tent for the night and watched some Eater... Meateater... The next morning C-man was the first one out of the tent to pee...

The fog had rolled in, but C-man spotted a goat.

With the fog rolling in and out, the goat laying down, we spent most of the day watching it. We were trying to figure ways to get it to stand up to have a look. At the same time we didn't want to scare it away. So first idea was "we've seen moose in the area already, give it a moose call". C-man let out a classy cow moose call and the goat barely flinched. I stood up and yelled "hey f*ckhead! Stand up!" The fog rolled in, I could barely see the goat stand up, do a 360 and lay back down. There was another break in the fog, my brother made a Comanche war cry and the goat kind of lifted it's head.

It was enough for me to know it's not a goat we should be wasting time on. But I got 2 rookies with me...

#sitkaathlete