Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

Re: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

So May 5th Beer-Rad (I don't know why he keeps asking me to hunt Sundays... but...) and myself decided we'd see if "Dugan" lake had ice on it or not. When we pulled up, I was excited there was no ice... except on the section of lake I wanted to fish...

After not being able to fish my "spot" we decided that maybe we could burn Beer-Rad's bear tag...

Hmmmm great read..manhas Lance ever grown tall !
    thanks Warren
    srupp

Great thread so far...

On the way out, I took Beer-Rad down a little super secret spot I like for bears. We stalked one but it only gave him an ass shot before it took off. Then on the way out came across this chocolately goodness.

Beer-Rad had now been out hunting 3 days and has 3 critters...

Beer-Rad was driving on the way out, my plan all spring was to finally kill something with my bow. What gives you more opportunity than spring bear season. Well coming around the corner, here's a huge black bear on the road. I say bear and reach for the rifle instead of my bow... I wanted this bear. Beer-Rad had his bear... why would he stop for a bear? Oh well I didn't get that bear, I have another friend that doesn't like to stop for my bears either...
    Last edited by warnniklz; 10-07-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Got out for a lot for spring bears, only really seeing one other bear that I really wanted. I can't figure out how to cheat the system and post videos from FB on here. I usually spend time mixing up locations and only hunting this particular area during a week around May Long. But this year I decided to see if I could get the area dialed in. Seen a total of 48 black bears while out bear hunting this year.

Even seen more than one moose

Caught some fish

Caught some mosquito bites

Some sunsets

Caught some hail storms... Oh I Miss The Misery... (Halestorm reference)

Spent time with this farty *******

Bonus picture (I know I've posted it before) baby sand hill crane. Dinosaurs are real

So last day of spring bear season, went out for a cruise after work. Packing the rifle... cruising my area, a bear cuts across the road in front of me. Not the bear I want, but it's the last day... so I grab my rifle and head in to the clearing the bear went in. I heard a couple branches snap but couldn't see anything. I started to wail on my deer call. I think most people know the sound of a bear running away through the woods... well it was that sound but getting closer real quick. I pulled up my rifle to get ready. As the bear came into view I squeezed the trigger. All in the smallest split second I thought hang fire? Didn't hear the firing pin? I know it's loaded... then I flicked the safety. I hit the bear, it spun in circles and went into a little hollow where it came from. Now the worst part of all hunting for me. Walking up to a dead bear... no matter how dead it is. Plus I didn't see exactly where it went. It was a short track with no extra excitement.

It was not fun trying to pack this thing out without quartering it or anything like that. Was basically rollie pollie through the burn and mosquitoes.

So far went with simple slow cooked bbq bear shank. Just added all the ingredients of bbq sauce with the meat.

Hammered shaggy manes already this fall and made bear wellington (I know, shouldn't eat rare bear... I'll pay for it later. I won't serve other people rare bear, only myself, even burnt the pastry trying to get it more well done)

Went from counting bears to counting ounces, calories and days...

Salmon fishing also wasn't too bad.

Beer-Radimus got his first spring (don't bug him about the way he holds fish... just got him to hold trout properly)

Some people are proud of their bird dogs... well my step mom has a salmon dog...

My brother blew his rod up on a good fish (seen tended to by... the man with the moon?)

My brother with a jack

My step-nephew getting in on the action