Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

Re: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

So nobody wanted to go fishing with me on Saturday... I also didn't ask anyone to come with me...

Loaded up gear, looked at artillery...

Me - "Should grab a rifle in case you see coyotes or wolves"
    Myself - "But how often do you see coyotes and wolves out that way?"
    Me - "true"
    Myself - **sees coyotes**

So yeah... I'm a bad predator hunter lol...

It was a bright blue day out. Had the whole lake to myself.

On one hand I think it's cool the sun never rises above the trees at this time of year... on the other hand... doesn't allow for enough time ice fishing.

Fishing was tough, spent a lot of time jumping hole to hole. Kept thinking if I can find the fish, I'll be into the bigguns. Wasn't seeing poop! So later in the day I figured I'd go out further than what me and Ol' Tranquilizer were fishing. Finally seen what my brother and I call a "Five'r" or 5er. A fish that barely breaks the 50cm mark. He was chewing my bait, but never did hook up with it.

My favourite hooks for ice fishing... except I don't need the pre-tied leader... may do a quick video on how to tie directly onto your main line.

I use to make bank selling Danielson and Mustad tools... but now... insider tip... Danielson pliers $18... but mine... $5

As I sit and tell you about the fish I didn't catch... I'll explain my usual go-to methods and maybe I'll talk myself into what I'm doing wrong...

1 - I like my fluorocarbon for ice fishing... I may have to switch up my main line on my go-to rod as I'm not really sure what's on it...

2 - I usually run 1-3 split shot, usually 2, just to get my line down... I could be running them to close to my hook. During soft water I'll drag a fly through the lake, but use at least a 20 foot leader because the further your fly is away from your main line, less chance the fish will spook from said line.

3 - I use to run a single pink Rapala TriggerX egg with a prawn. But TriggerX is discontinued and been running a pink Jensen Egg. It's more anus/anise scented where TriggerX claimed to be pheromone based.

4 - Could just be in the wrong spot

4.5 - This lake has sooooo much feed in it. The fish can afford to be picky and/or just can't get to the whole buffet. Or I'm just in the wrong spot... from past experience, 18 inches in another direction can make a big difference.
    Last edited by warnniklz; 12-23-2019 at 05:22 PM.

More pictures from my solo trip on the 21st

Flat Earthers are right I guess... there's a big ice wall

Finally marked my rod for a quick measure

Saved some money on not buying a rod holder

The 22nd, myself and my brother went out. Once again, stopped to look at a decent looking 2 point. Then just up the road a little further, here's a coyote. I have artillery this time... but this time the yote is in a 400m single projectile area and on private property...

My brother brought his ice tent... but first time setting it up this year made it a little difficult.

We got the tent up. It was kind of foggy and frosty

I was trying to get a picture of the ice rainbow (hoping the ice rainbow would bring the troutsies in) but it didn't turn out so well

It looked as someone had showed up that night and fished the same spot. As the skimmer track wasn't there the day before, and we were out there fairly early in the morning and all the holes were frozen over pretty good.

While fishing we moved a couple times, but ended up going all out.

We did have a school of quarter pounders with cheese swim by. Figure about 5 or 6 of them. But not one batted an eye. Then later I did have a meat fish swim by and mess around with my bait (got video up on the grammer)... some people say bait is too big (looking at my brother) but I'm here for shooter fish, not meat fish.

Looks like a great year filled with epic adventures!!!! Awesome stuff!!!

Merry Fishmas Tough Guys and Pretty Ladies

Good posts, thanks for sharing
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Well... last post by me in this thread. New thread next year!

Went out last Saturday and discovered I ****ing suck at ice fishing this year. But I also came to the conclusion I get the shooter fish when it's -20 or colder. We haven't had that. Me and my brother watch un-interested meat fish and quarter pounders with cheese swim by. The other "Regulars" were out there. There was a lot more of them and they managed to lose one rod, have one bite and kill 2 fish. I was planning on going winter camping out there, but I got a call from buddy and wants me to work a day out in Shittin. Errr... Hinton. So off I go!

And now I leave you with the sunset of my 2019 (and partly 201 season.

Got big plans for 2020
    1. Finally pull a goat off of the mountain where I started goat hunting/get a goat in February
    2. Pull a NorBC and get 2 goats in 1 calendar year
    3. Get a lynx
    4. Do more small game hunting
    5. Think about taking up moose hunting again and think about getting one with my bow
    6. Hunt goats in a region that isn't region 6
    7. Finally kill something with my bow
    8. Start reading up on elk hunting and learn that (only because Beer-Radimus-Anus-Maximus-Decimus wants to get one)
    9. Date a flapper and listen to jazz music
    10. Redeem my ice fishing abilities.

Oh also... my brother sent me this... been that long since I've been to the OV and stumbled to Denny's