Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

Re: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

This thread is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Then I catch some movement in the timber. That just looks different.

Me "B-Rad.. Buck!"
    I tried to make out 4 while he was going through the trees,but he ended up going out the backside and over the ridge. The wind was in our favour. So we gumbooted it across the opening (B-Rad said if we had to give'r, to give'r without him, well he was leading the charge)... We slowed just before the rise. We crept over the top and seen two does booking it across the open country. Then a shot rang out. It was close! It wasn't in our direction, but we were definitely ahead of the firing line. Then we heard another shot ring out. That's when I spotted the buck hoofin er towards the timber. He jumped a fence and I kind of lost track of him. He didn't look hit and he wasn't stopping. Not sure if buddy went looking for blood. But me and B-rad decided to work our way across the top timber on the front side as it would burn the rest of our daylight.

We picked our way through the timber, bumping some more deer while going in and out of gullies. We finally just took a seat to overlook the area and wait for dark. This was the first time myself and B-rad had been skunked together. But... I got this text

I don't think we seen thaaat many critters. But he enjoyed it none the less.

We got back to the truck after dark and my brother was waiting there. He didn't get anything. He said the deer in his area were really spooky. He basically had to stand still to even see them. He did find a couple bucks that had gotten themselves all tangled up in some wire and died. He was going to go get a permit and go back and retrieve them. I thought it would make a cool centerpiece. But he never did get a chance to.

On the way out, as expected the CO's were waiting for us. Well not just us, but had a road check. Came up, checked rifles, asked us what we got so far this year and grabbed our tags. Right away, B-Rad noticed his bear tag... it was his fall bear tag from last year. He told the officer right away that he did get a spring bear and he didn't have that tag on him (he grabbed the fall tag because it said 2019 on it... and it's 2019, not thinking that this years tags say 2020).

CO - "So you got a moose this year"
    B-Rad - "Yeah"
    CO - "Where did you get it?"
    B-Rad - "Region 5"
    Co - "Where in region 5?"

This is where I thought "something is wrong here, this is a lot of questions on one tag"

B-Rad - "ughhh..."
    Me thinking - "come on B-rad... you know where"
    B-Rad - "Dugan lake"
    CO - "On a draw?"
    B-Rad - "Yeah"
    CO - "Goup or?"
    B-Rad - "Individual"
    CO - "Dugan Lake, that's near... Oh yeah I know that spot. I'll be right back... hold tight"

They were dealing with another vehicle at the same time, so it was taking a little bit. They came and checked on us and let us know that B-rad was getting a written warning about his moose tag, then went back to the truck and let us sweat a little more.

They came back and showed B-rad that the region wasn't clipped. He got a warning as we weren't hiding anything from them, and it was a good way to educate a new hunter. So they made him clip the region in front of their eyes. We asked them some questions we had, they asked a little more about the moose hunt and congratulated B-Rad on getting a moose in region 5. The CO even said "good that you got one, don't know when they might take it away from us"

Then we were on our way home.

B-Rad had to head back to Q-town... my brother and I had intended to head back down the Sunday. He called me early, I made breakfast and he was suppose to be at my place just before 5... didn't happen. He fell back asleep, so we went out for an evening cruise to a little spot not far from town. On the was out, this H2 went cruising by us and I seen some blood on his front quarter panel... then he got by us and I seen this

Thumbs up!

Anyways, we got to our spot. We hunted around and didn't see much. We knew of one draw where the deer filter down onto some ranch land we're allowed to hunt. We figured we'd post up in the timber and wait.

We didn't see anything. On our way out, we stopped and talked to the rancher. He was saying he's barely seen anything. Had one doe cut across his hay field. Guess his girlfriend seen a lone yote pushing cows around, possibly wolf. Not a good sign. Usually the deer stack up on his property pretty heavy. I have seen deer around his property this year, just not like the past.

The following Saturday, myself and my brother were headed back for the last day of rifle season. Got there at pretty much the perfect time. It had cooled off a lot since the weekend before and even got a dusting of snow. Except walking on the snow was like Spongebob walking on styrofoam. Squeaking and crunchy. Me and my brother basically started the same route as myself and B-Rad took. But just to take a look in the bottom. I figured with all the pressure, maybe they'd be in the bottom. I wasn't 100% sure. But I wanted to look. We cut a bunch of rubs... but didn't see any deer.

With not seeing a whole lot, we picked our way to the top. As we got to the top, my brother picked out and deer through the timber. He didn't get a good look, so I figured lets see if we can sneak in and get another look. We were moving out of the timber and just as we got to the open, we spotted a buck with a doe making some tracks across the flat. The stopped before the timber and were hanging out. They were a long way off. He was tall, not wide at all and for sure 3. We picked our way across the open country using terrain contures, sparse trees and rocks to impede their line of sight. We closed some distance but it was still going to be a long shot. We posted up behind a down tree. I settled in behind my 300... I knew there was a reason I grabbed it that morning. My brother got on the spotting scope. He had the forks on the back, but we couldn't see the forks on the front. Usually back forks means there's 4... but neither of us could call it 100%.

The pair slowly headed into the timber. We tried to circle around and and maybe cut the distance and get a good look. But the wind kept going every which way and the ground was still kind of squeaky. He wasn't a huge deer and it was still relatively early in the day. We slowly worked our way along a ledge that gave us the high ground.

We didn't see anything going across the ledge, but we got to go to a little spot I like to sometimes sit and just watch. Right away we glassed up a couple ladies.

We had a pretty commanding view of different draws. I always see them moving up down and across the draws. My brother had been running on a couple house of sleep after a long work shift. So he took five

He looked like Lt. Dan laying there... also... whether it's myself and my dad, or myself and someone else down there in late November. I always bring my hobo gloves (seen on my brother's hands) and I always end up giving them to whomever I'm with.

While my brother was taking 5, I glassed up another deer. With all these does in the same draw, there's gotta be a buck patrolling somewhere.

While I was taking a closer look, my brother woke up. We were saying something about how awesome it would be to see a big buck just come working it's way down the ridge. Sure enough. Here's a dinky little buck coming down for ladies night.

Now that we've been laying on the cold ground, and in the shade, we started to get chilled. I told my brother that we could go around the corner to look at more draws. I always find deer bedded in them, usually next to a tree. We pack up and make our way over.

Sure enough, I spot up a nice 2 point bedded next to a doe down in a draw. We took a moment to glass them up. All of a sudden the buck stood up and took off. We weren't skylined, wind was good. I wanted to get up a little higher to have a better look. Then my brother said as quietly as possible "HUGE ****IN BUCK"

You’re leaving us hanging here!!

Awesome read so far....

dramatic pause
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Then my brother said as quietly as possible "HUGE ****IN BUCK"
    You know how Bullwinkle's antlers come straight out and points just go up. From our point of view this is how this buck's antlers looked.

He was perfectly lit up and chasing tail. Me and my brother fell into the hillside. I started looking though my binos while my brother was pulling the spotting scope out of my pack. The buck moved down into a draw after the doe. We couldn't see right down into the draw. But if he came out the bottom or out of the top, we would be able to see him. As I was glassing up the spot, I could see another hunter in the bottom. This was not good, if we were to have a shot, he'd be in our line of fire. We also didn't know if he knew we were up on the hill. Even though I'm sure he probably would see us lit up by the sun if he did any sort of looking.

We half ass pack up and pull cactus out of our hands and asses... then headed down the hillside. Hopefully when the buck popped out we'd be in a safer shooting position, plus closer. Then if we did bump him, he'd head out in front of the other hunter and he may get a crack at him. At least if the other hunter got him, we go and least go inspect him and admire him, even though it wasn't one of us that got him.

We were hammering it down the hill to try and get set up behind a rock. Before we could get to our desired rock, he re-appeared. My brother tossed his pack on the ground and laid up against the mountain, with his rifle rested on his pack. With spotting scope already in hand, propped the tripod legs open and focused in.

Brother - "He good?"
    Me - "three"
    Brother - "what?"
    Me - "I count 3"
    Brother - "He's huge"
    Me - "3 for days... trying to find a little piece of shit hanging off somewhere"
    Brother - "4 yet?"
    Me - "still clean 3"

The buck popped out the far side of the draw. I switched to my binos and glassed up the other hunter. He had eyes on the buck. I went back to glassing up the buck in case i had a better view of a kicker or something. The sun just gleamed off of every tine as he crossed the flat and dropped into another draw.

Me - "from where we are, we'll be able to see him if he comes out of there"
    Brother - "But that other hunter is headed up in there, we should get to the top in case he bumps him"

So we hauled ass up the mountain and through the draws. We slightly angled towards the other hunter and eventually met up with him. After talking to him, I guess he had glassed him up earlier in the day and watched him for awhile with the spotting scope trying to put a 4th point on him, but conceded that he was indeed a big clean 3. We discussed plans so we wouldn't be hunting on top of each other. (I guess he was heading back the next day with archery gear to try and get that big 3. I think it would be tough to get close to him. But if he got him, that would be amazing.) He would hunt his way across the top, while me and my brother would hook around the front of the mountain and hunt the timber back.

We never did see that 3 again, but with all the deer we seen below, we headed to an outlook that overlooks private property. But would be cool to see what's stacked up.

We glassed up 15 or so deer in the bottom on private land. There was one dinky little buck among all the does.

We carried on pushing the timber and bumping the odd doe here and there, but never did see another promising deer. We were back to the vehicle with about 45 minutes worth of daylight left. We went to a little spot where we could overlook a bunch of flats. We glassed up a bunch of does. Possibly a spike buck. But nothing worth a closer look.

We burned back to town, went to the stamps game. Then ended up going to a friend's party. Intent was to head out bow hunting the next morning. Even though I stayed sober all night, but being up for 24 hours didn't allow me to get out Sunday for archery opener.

By Thursday I had developed a gross head cold. Friday it kind of plateaued to better than Thursday afternoon but better. So Friday, I took a couple hours off and burned to grab my trail camera.