Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

Re: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

^^^^^Wolves and Coyotes!!!

Thanks for your telling of the tales...great to read during lunch at work

Hey, thanks for the time to share your season.
    Really cool to see what others do in the year and what type of hunts they go on and how they hunt.
    Whether the person has success or not plays no role in such threads.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^^Wolves and Coyotes!!!
    I'm not a good predator hunter. I should probably find a predator hunter mentor.

Hey, thanks for the time to share your season.
    Really cool to see what others do in the year and what type of hunts they go on and how they hunt.
    Whether the person has success or not plays no role in such threads.
    Thanks!
    Considering all my spots I refer to Dugan Lake/Mountain or Super Secret Spot, but writing everything out lets me look back and learn from past experiences. As well as maybe help other people out.

But in reality, in past threads like this, I've had members PM me like "Oh that's Dewar lake in that picture, maybe if you hike up to the left there you'll find what you're looking for". So it's mostly just hoping someone recognizes little spots and share tidbits privately.

^^^^^yup, I have had pm's asking about a location in the photo or folks guessing at times on threads.
    It's normal I guess, as I know sometimes I look at the photos and guess as well.
    But it is just cool to look at the terrain some folks will hunt for certain game at certain times.
    Hunting MD, I have never really spent much time chasing them in the Sage/Timber borders, but rather just timber.
    So, it's kind of cool to see what others experience and makes me consider alternative style hunts if I get bored with timber hunting.

Also, I have also pm'd members over the years for tidbits of info, so I am no different then those that ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I'm not a good predator hunter. I should probably find a predator hunter mentor.

Considering all my spots I refer to Dugan Lake/Mountain or Super Secret Spot, but writing everything out lets me look back and learn from past experiences. As well as maybe help other people out.

But in reality, in past threads like this, I've had members PM me like "Oh that's Dewar lake in that picture, maybe if you hike up to the left there you'll find what you're looking for". So it's mostly just hoping someone recognizes little spots and share tidbits privately.
    hey warren:

thanks for taking us along this year, you have a very entertaining writing style

well done

chris

Thanks for sharing your stories, I've definitely enjoyed the read. I'm the same as you, a rookie predator hunter, but I'm going to get out and try to thin the wolf population in my area this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus44 View Post
    ... a rookie predator hunter...
    Not rookie... just bad at it

During the week, I talked to Ol' Tranquilizer about maybe going ice fishing on the weekend. He's never been to "Dugan" lake, so I told him don't expect much, but if we did get something it was going to be worth it. Friday night I go to get my stuff together... can't find my tackle box, but find every ice fishing rod I've ever owned... So burn to Slurpy Herpies, grab some jig head hooks, new line just in case, split shot and Jensen eggs as Rapala doesn't make Trigger-X anymore. Drop $20 and make the special trip to Crappy Tire as Herpies didn't have the hooks I wanted. They only had 3 packs of the Matzuo red Sickle hooks in size 2... those 3 packs cost me about as much as everything else I bought. Got home and my tackle box magically appeared.

Saturday morning me and Tranq' headed out. I usually bring just enough gear to get a line wet. Tranq' had everything you need to survive a Manitoba walleye weekend. Tent, heater, coffee, seats, so on and so fourth. Got everything set-up...

Looking down the holes, I wasn't seeing much. Could even see through the ice itself. I figured we weren't quite in the right spot. So I went out drilling more holes. Spent most of the day on "Dugan" without even seeing a fish swim by our hole... so about 2pm, we packed up and burned down the road to "Dewar" Lake. punched a couple holes in the usual prime spot. Had fish swimming by the hole and chewing on my bait, but couldn't get them to hook up... which was OK because they were a little coloured up. But maybe I'll head out this weekend solo and get it dialed in. I also have a lynx tag in the pocket now... time to pack the 17.

You made me relive an episode years ago when I was young and out ice fishing with family and friends of my dad.
    Back then, no tent shelters and it get windy in Merritt.
    There was one fellow that was a friend of my Dad and company, but he was an odd duck.
    Anyways, he had been by one of the holes when my Dad and uncle showed up.
    The guy had to go back to camp for a minute, and left his vodka bottle.

My dad and uncle thought pouring some vodka in their holes might help keep them from freezing!
    Guess it was worth the shot, especially since it didn't cost them anything.

Just something stupid that I remember from seeing your pics that made me think about it and laugh.

...My dad and uncle thought pouring some vodka in their holes might help keep them from freezing!
    Guess it was worth the shot, especially since it didn't cost them anything...
    The odd time we do bring a beer or two out, some always goes down the hole, only polite to share...

Bonus pictures from the weekend