Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

Re: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

I got going on dressing out the moose. It's B-Rad's moose and he should learn... but we had to get this moose through a burn. I also like clean meat... Easiest way is to open up the chest and pelvis so you don't have to cut so much by feel. Also good for people like B-Rad that like to hack and saw with a knife.

I like to open up my critters from nuts to the bottom of the rib cage, less opening to get dirt in, especially if you're dragging it. I got him gutted, heart, caul fat, kidney not left behind. Got him positioned towards the road. It was only a 100 or so yards through the burn to the road, then we could drive up to it. Well we made it maybe 15 yards, B-Rad was gassed. Shit, he's way bigger and stronger than me... but to be fair, I've crushed a mountain or two so far this year.

I went up the 3rd rib and halfed the moose with my knife... I always thought those pocket sized bone saws were dumb... I wanted one now. Got him halfed and we leap frogged the two halfs back to the road. Just before dark we had the moose in the back of the truck and on the way to town.

We took it to a friend's house in town to hang. My place off a 4 story balcony wouldn't work... We got him all skinned out. As is tradition, me and B-Rad took a raw chunk and cheersed it. Also... the fat behind the eye does taste like pizza dough, just doesn't have that carbonated fuzzy sensation.
    Last edited by warnniklz; 10-09-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Hmmmmm that buck has lived in our hood from birth..slept in back yard beside us..been eating crabapples next door..

Watch him from front door..and porch in the back..

Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmmm that buck has lived in our hood from birth..slept in back yard beside us..been eating crabapples next door..

Watch him from front door..and porch in the back..

Srupp
    I think he wanders up to my grandma's house whenever I stop there after a day of not seeing anything hunting just to remind me what's up.

We were to meet our buddy to have the moose cut up the next morning

Our buddy

Luckily I did a lot of the gutting and skinning...

B-Rad had 340 pounds of gluten free moose on the hook

Oh yeah.. luckily I did most of the gutting and skinning because I HATE wrapping. I enjoy everything about hunting, except the actual wrapping part. So B-Rad got to wrap his own god damn moose. It also gave me a chance to sneak a pack of steaks without him looking.

We were all squared away by noonish and B-Rad had to burn back to Quesnel before 6 or whatever to fly back out to Vancouver.

Lucky hunter or a good guide.....good read. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Quesnel Kid View Post
    Lucky hunter or a good guide.....good read. Thanks for posting.
    As you know I'm not the fastest or most agile in the mountains... but I'll go.

Leaving for Dink Mountain on Friday afternoon...

Good read so far bud. Keep it going and good luck

As per usual great stuff niklz Hope the weather gods are good to you on Dink Mountain. lmao love that name
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I hope the weather gods are terrible... not my goat draw. I'm just a sherpa... a certain Sherpa was even smart enough to head south... but yeah I hope weather is terrible, good weather and big goats don't go hand in hand

Great thread.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU