Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

Re: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

The firs day glassing the main bowl didn't offer much up... well nothing to be exact. So the second day we marched to the far end and look over the back side. The best part is we found other water sources at the far end, so now I know I can camp at the far end and not die from dehydration. We did see 4 goats way in the back end. 1 big ass nanny with this years kid. A younger goat and a young billy. Nothing we really wanted to go after, on top of that they were in a spot that was impossible for humans to get to.

We never did get a goat that weekend, but we still have until Feb 28th to get one...

Bonus pictures

Keep it rollin' man...great thread
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Would love to get a goat with my bow... one day

The following weekend we mixed it up. I went looking for bighorns and check the moose camera for Beer-Radimus, while my brother would go look at another spot for bighorns...

Pretty much a ladies weekend for sheeps

I on the other hand realized my super secret spot was only a secret spot... but it looked promising

I also got 2 moose in one video... and a bunch of cattle

The next few weekends were a little quiet. My brother and C-man went out and did well on grouse one day

They got C-man's Tundra stuck and look what they used to get out (look at the front wheel)

They even helped their buddy Tea Sea get a decent little 4 point... C-man said it was easy 180/170 when he first told me about it. Then I seen the pictures and asked maybe 150? Nice deer none the less

Only thing I really seen on my outings was this shitty buck... literally inside of 50 yards from SRUPP's front door

I got a call from Beer-Radimus saying he'd be flying back from Vancouver on the 27th, wanted to go for his moose on the 28th and would have to fly back to Vancouver on the 29th. Well shit, can't say no to that. 27th rolls around, Beer-Radimus is suppose to be in town around 9pm. Get a call, "I won't make it, I forgot my wallet on the plane and it has all my tags in it".

I told Beer-Radimus (can I just shorten this to B-Rad?) to maybe give the airline a facebook message, twitter message and/or instagram message to maybe expedite the process. No luck. B-Rad wasn't going to get to go for his moose.

Oh wait! He did get out for 2 or 3 days with his G-Pa, but got skunked. Seen a spiker but didn't feel comfortable with the shot and let it walk. So he finally got days in the field without getting anything.

So B-Rad and I weren't going to be able to go for his moose. I figured I could get up early and burn to bighorn country. I was up early and looked at my gear. I thought "what if B-Rad does get his wallet back and wants to go? Then I'm not in cell service and don't get his message?"

So I started in on some early morning video games. About 10:00am rolled around... well... here's how it went

I think we were in the bush by 2ish. Within the first 3 kilometers in I was sweatin because we hadn't seen anything yet. It was a furious hunt. We walked some clearings and wasn't seeing much. Crossed some guys coming out with campers and pulling side by sides. Hunters for sure. Don't know why they had campers back where they were, no real good places to camp unless you want to camp right in the middle of the spot you should hunt... never a good idea folks, I see it all the time. Frigs everything up.

Down the road I told B-Rad that I'm going to burn over the hill and go and do some calling in a little swamp I know about. He was to stay on the road where he would come to a clearing with a swamp in it, park there and just kind of toodle around there for an hour, then I would come get him. I get in to my little swamp, do some calling, wind is good, but nothing happening. Time to go get B-Rad.

I had to circle the swamp, all of a sudden I hear a loud stick break and catch movement.
    Last edited by warnniklz; 10-09-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I had to circle the swamp, all of a sudden I hear a loud stick break and catch movement.
    If you follow along on the grammar... instagrammar, you'll have the behind the scenes and know what happens

But the movement I caught was B-Rad coming through the trees. Not where he was suppose to be, how did he know I was here? He parked at the wrong spot and just followed the marsh leading him to me. He had only seen a grouse. We went and took a look at another swamp to see if anyone was home. No luck. Now we had to make a decision. We were running out of time. Do we go to the area B-Rad was suppose to park and look for moose, or do we haul ass over the mountain and go check the area around my trail cam?

I knew I had a moose on my trail cam... so that looked promising. So up and over that direction was the plan. We took a little detour to check out another area. More trucks and quads burning around... I gotta check how many moose tags were issued in this area again. A little early to be looking for 4 points in this area, but I guess if you don't look you don't know.

So ditch the detour idea and keep hauling up and over the mountain. We came across another side by side with a couple nice looking ladies in it, they didn't stop for us . Kind of losing focus, we got on the subject of silent farts. We were trying to come up with as many different silent fart sounds as we could. All of a sudden I spotted a cow moose standing in a burn.

"there's a moose" I said. Then I spotted the bull with it. "There's your bull"

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    "there's a moose" I said. Then I spotted the bull with it. "There's your bull"
    B-Rad is very cautious when it comes to touching the trigger. On his deer I swear he lined up for a minute before touching off. On his bear it was several long seconds before he put a round down range. Now I approve of his actions on making sure he's comfortable with a shot, better to let something walk un-touched than taking a marginal shot. But we had one afternoon to make this happen, here was his opportunity and B-Rad was taking his sweet ass time to get in position.

In other words, I was getting buck fever while B-Rad was calm and collected.

The bull turned and brad touched off a shot quartering away from him. I lost sight of the bull for a second as the cow ran between us and the bull. I caught sight of the bull again and it was if someone stuck a faucet it in him and turned it on. The bull was hit hard. The bull tried to follow the cow but then ended up laying down. We gave it some time and then I lead the way in. I gave my 30_06 to B-Rad and took my 300 back. If the bull got up, I wanted to make sure to sit him back down right quick. The bull wasn't going anywhere but, B-Rad did finish the job.

Me and B-Rad had now spent 3 days hunting together and B-Rad has taken home a critter every time. Luckily we still had some daylight to get to work.