Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

Re: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

My brother told me that when he gets back to town, he'd basically be working straight through to Christmas and he wanted that goat. I told him he's not shooting that goat.

C-man asked me what I thought of the goat. I told him "you have a goat draw for dink mountain, the chances of getting a better goat than that is 1000% better" He went on and used Meateater against me saying "Papa Janis says 'don't pass on something you'd be happy with on the last day'" and other things about "I don't need my first goat to be huge". This wasn't going well for me. I was able to get my brother to stand down.

The fog lifted, the goat stood up, C-man baptized his new 270wsm. Nothing I could do now. The goat took a really good tumble.

C-man walked up to the goat and immediately regretted his decision. I think he went through all the emotions. The joy of getting his first mountain goat, but the sadness of it not being the goat he would have liked, the disappointment of it blowing it's headgear all to hell. The excitement of getting to try goat meat.

What was done was done. Showed C-man how to do the gutless method, cape out an animal. Guess it was a learning experience for all.

I'm not a fan of liver or kidney... but...

We discovered that we didn't bring any seasoning. Other than salt for hides. We ate a lot of goat meat that week with salt and mountain blue berries. We got some of the goat up in a tree and the rest we were packing with us to add to our house.

I didn't want to keep going to the east, so we broke camp and headed west.

was that pic of the big meat thing over the fire, what rinella and remi warren did with that elk in alaska? a bunch of cut up meat and organs wrapped in the cal fat? if so I really want to try it, looks awesome! awesome story so far!

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    was that pic of the big meat thing over the fire, what rinella and remi warren did with that elk in alaska? a bunch of cut up meat and organs wrapped in the cal fat? if so I really want to try it, looks awesome! awesome story so far!
    yes it is... kind of fell apart on us after we cut into it. We didn't have red wine or cumin, we also didn't use lung either.

But what was left over, we did sort of a Mr. Noodle hot pot with the rest. Not sure if it was the kidney or liver, but one of them tasted like canned smoked oysters when boiled in the Mr. Noodle broth. Also added some puff ball mushrooms to it... which didn't turn out so well. Tofu texture... barf.

Good story telling. Congrats to your brother!

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    yes it is... kind of fell apart on us after we cut into it. We didn't have red wine or cumin, we also didn't use lung either.

But what was left over, we did sort of a Mr. Noodle hot pot with the rest. Not sure if it was the kidney or liver, but one of them tasted like canned smoked oysters when boiled in the Mr. Noodle broth. Also added some puff ball mushrooms to it... which didn't turn out so well. Tofu texture... barf.
    yeah with some proper spices I could see that being an epic meal. still nice work on trying it

So we moved from camp 1 westward to camp 2. Along the way we had intermittent showers. My brother's siltarp came in handy. It would pour for 5 minutes then the sun would come back out. We had setting up cover down to a science.

We camp 2 set up and spent the evening glassing the far side of the lake. We did see a cow caribou come up and over the top

The next day we made the march up the hill to go check out what we thought/hopped was a plateau. On the way up we kept coming across little hollows and areas we couldn't really see too well. So we slowly climbed to the sop stopping often to glass and make sure there wasn't any pockets of sheep hiding somewhere. I did find a cool piece of obsidian... someone must have got it at the gift shop and lost it on their hike?

We watched this basin all day. Like all day. We figured sheep could be bedded down in the rock field below us maybe? Maybe they were on the other side of the mountain and maybe would move over at some point. We never did see anything except across the valley. The sun was going down and the light caught a cow and calf caribou bedded just right. It was easier to see the sun glistening off of them with the naked eye 5 kilometers away than it was to glass them up with the spotting scope.

Caribou tracks for days...

I don't know where he idea came from, but it was decided we would pack up camp and head back east past camp one to set up camp 3. It was a whole day full ruck side hilling one way. At one point my brother and C-man wanted to set up camp. I told them to take a look at where they were setting up. It was in a perfect funnel. If a bear was coming up from the valley, it would be directed right onto camp. If we got a down pour, water would be draining right through camp. So we pushed on a little further. Camp 3 wasn't in a terrible spot for camping, but I didn't like it for hunting. Mind you we did have a young caribou come in 100 yards behind camp.

The next day was basically a day off. My brother made some repairs to his pack.

We also went up and around the corner to do some looking. C-man kept wanting to see what's around the next corner. I like his gumption, but we've spent a lot of time moving camp. We're like a dog doing circles in their bed before laying down. We weren't in a good glassing spot, we'd have to keep hiking before we could do any looking. We went on an evening glass up around the corner. My brother did glass up a big ass g-bear in the valley bottom (couldn't get a good picture of it through the spotter). But he was walking through a clearing, there was a lone spruce tree in the clearing the bear was walking towards. Instead of going around, the bear just walked over it.

That night we discussed plans. I wanted to go back to our original plan of going and setting up shop in the main valley and spike out the branching valleys.

C-man thought if we just got to look around the corner, it would lead to another basin. Plus we wouldn't have to back track. Plus if we got to the valley bottom, we could cover ground quickly. (I must note that we were way above the valley bottom and the valley bottom was swampland)

Thinking with there being 3 of us, a vote would solve it. My brother came in with a diplomatic answer that translated to 'I'm good to go either way'

So it came to a coin toss. We found a toonie, if it came up bears, we would go valley bottom where the bear was... if it came up the old goat, we'd go back where I wanted to go. Sure enough it came up bears.

I still insisted it was a bad idea. I even wanted to pull the mountain seniority card on the other two. But it was all of our hunt and we let fate decide. The plan was to grab enough food for the day and empty packs to cover ground. Then we would go for a short 6 hour hike just to see. C-man lead the way and basically went crashing through the thick ass trees straight down the mountain. I knew right away that we wouldn't be coming up this way.

This is the mountain we came off of.

C-man was right about it turning into a bowl

I will admit it looked pretty good to me. Since we couldn't go back the way we came, we would just have to keep pushing on. We found lakes with trout in it, we were even going to swim in the one, but decided to have a look at another lake first. I did happen to stumble upon this goat horn (i really should measure it)

It was getting later in the day and we were getting further away from camp. We started going up and up some more and then up even more.

Epic thread beauty pics