Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

I thought I kept an ongoing thread last year. Guess I didn't? So I'll do a quick synopsis of last year.

I usually plan a week of holidays before or after May Long Weekend depending on which week burns less holidays. But 2018 May Long was a busy one. We started off with a bachelor party at Crooked Lake (Crooked Dick as my buddy put it). I was always taught don't take candies from strangers... well I learned don't take candies from your friends...

"I NEVER MADE A DEAL WITH PUNJABI CLUB"... Star Wars reference...

After recovering from the bachelor party... we made a trip to "Dugan" Lake or Super Secret Lake... for some trout fishing and black bear hunting. I never did find the bear I wanted, but C-Man wasn't so picky...

I had to leave bear/fishing camp early to head down to Kamloops for a softball tournament... I never did shoot a bear last year
    Last edited by warnniklz; 10-04-2019 at 11:01 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2019 Getting Up To Speed (Pic Heavy)

I have had a nagging feeling about the spot I started hunting mountain goats near Shitters... um, Smithers. But I like applying up "Dink Mountain" for reasons unknown... My buddy C-Man wanted to apply for goats. What better way to start someone out mountain hunting than where I started. Sure enough he got the draw.

Just like me when I started, he didn't really have the gear the first year mountain hunting. He had an Eberlestock Team Elk Pack... so he couldn't really fit everything in his pack. I figured we'd go minimalist as the hike in was not far. If we needed to get more gear, it wouldn't be a big deal. It was early August and everyone said "it'll be so hot, why would you go then?"

Had a cheap Outbound Tarp for cover. I slept on one of those foil window reflectors for a sleeping pad and brought just my sleeping bag liner...
    C-Man had a small Kelty +10 sleeping bag and my thermarest sleeping pad.

We got to Shitters (there's an outhouse at the trailhead... shitters... smithers... I love smithers but it's a play on words)
    We pull up to the trail head in the dark. Still could find it after 6 years. We slept in the truck... well waited for daylight in the truck. Got our gear sorted one more time. C-Man chugged a pilsner and we were off. C-Man immediately regretted chugging the beer.

Got up to camp and set up. Went for a little glassing session, spotted a good billy. C-Man hated it when I told him it was too late in the day to go after him. We spent 2 nights in the cold ass wind freezing. Never did get a goat, after the second night C-Man wanted to head to Rip Bum to go fishing with his dad. We didn't touch shit, so we went out to Rupert and went halibut fishing... caught my first halibut so that was cool.

Somebody put someone's LEHs in wrong and ended up with a goat draw near Terrace, but a place I wasn't overly familiar with, but confident we'd find goats.
    My dad put my step mom in for goats in a spot that was pretty rugged. She's not a mountain hunter. Bought newer gear so she would stay warm and comfortable... realizing right away, you gotta suffer a little to be comfortable. My dad was insistent on trying to get quads into where we were going, I told him we wouldn't get them very far. But to be fair, there is an old logging road back there, even though at the end of the day I was right. We walked along the old road quite easily that lead to a mostly dry creek bed. Took a short beef jerky break and my dad spotted goats up the valley. It was already getting late so we started heading back to camp.

Now it took us 2 days to get up to not even Terrace... along that trip, I was being grinded about how C-man only spent 1 day hunting... we spent 1 day hunting for my step-mom's goat. Then 3 day drive back to Williams Lake...

The only shitty part is that once I'm with someone that pulls a goat off the mountain I started on, I'll want to go back and get one of the goats we looked at.

Last edited by warnniklz; 10-04-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Now here's where I wanted to really get to... so my buddy Beer-Rad finally decided that he was over relying on me to feed him wild critters. I've been getting pickier and pickier with the animals I've been killing. So he went out got his CORE and PAL. Then he went out his first day ever hunting with his g-pa and got this tasty little bear

I was a little chapped that he didn't ask me to go out for the first time. But it was his grandpa... so it's all good.

After I got back from my step-mom's goat hunt, I got a call from Beer-Rad and said he wanted to go hunting. He came down Sunday morning and I took him out a little spot that... well... by late morning I found him his first deer.

I thought "well I want a little guy now too..." think I could find myself one? Not even a glimpse of a deer. None the less Beer-Rad had hunted 2 days and 2 critters down. I even made him cut his own first deer...

Keep it rolling buddy..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Love it....

I did have a doe draw last year. I made up every excuse as usual not to shoot one. Too big, too small, too old, too young, too close, too far... which lead me to late season archery.

(Not my blind... have yet to run into anyone sitting in it)

Great shoes for archery hunting... in the early season... yeah I forgot my boots that day

Last edited by warnniklz; 10-04-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Back in April, I tried talking guys into going to do the sheep count... apparently early bear hunting was a lot more appealing. Only thing we seen was a white tail, a cow and calf moose and... .... oh yeah! My buddy got excited over a "that's a big bear!" and at the end of the day it was a burnt stump...

My brother likes his sammiches... I on the other hand don't like mustard and am too damn picky when it comes to mayo

C-Man likes his lumberjacks

Region 5 White Tail

This spot, C-Man was a little worried to drive through in his "new to him" Tundra. He says he doesn't like driving through water... but...

It barely came up to his tires hubs... Later that night he went wheelin and swamped his truck and had to do and engine swap.

It was April 19th before I even went back out again. My step nephew Brickles decided May Long Weekend was a good weekend to have a wedding. Most of us that go bear hunting/fishing May Long weekend were in the wedding party... not cool Brickles. So my plan was to hammer the same spot for bears any chance I got and get it really dialed in.

Like I said, April 19th me and my brother went out, knowingly very well it was to check on "Dugan" Lake or Super Secret Lake more than anything. We did see a bull moose standing in a swamp. We also regretted not bringing ice fishing gear...

It wasn't until May 3rd that I spotted my first bear. Took a little toodle somewhere that wasn't "Dugan" Lake... He was a good bear, but can't shoot the first bear you see in region 5... even though I had my bow in hand with an arrow knocked when I took this picture

Seen this bear the same evening. He was in with a bunch of deer, neither cared one lick about each other. Nice to have a fence post to make judgement that much easier...