Thread: Big Bar Info

Big Bar Info

Hey all, in the middle of our moose 3-31b and deer hunt here in the big bar area and not having much luck.

Have found a bit of recent moose sign that we're working, but not much other than that.

If anyone would mind dropping some pointers on areas or tactics for deer and moose around here would be much appreciated. PM's welcome.

Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Big Bar Info

Know this:

The game populations have plummetted in this area. imho they have been decimated.

Hello, you have an excellent tag and 3-31B is better than 3-31A in my opinion. We hunt the eastern area of the region, anything right up against the freeway and in west from there. We like the

corner of the region right by 70 Mile but will go as far south as Big Bar Lake road. Have seen a Bull on Hooke road once but that is in the "A" part of the region. Personally, I would split the day into

three parts. Pick three spots on the map and spend a good amount of time calling in those areas. One spot could be by 70 Mile, one could be further south and west into the region a bit, and another

one could be just north of Big Bar Lake road probably west of the power lines if you can find some little roads in and walk them. When we hunted there, we had tags for Cow Moose in November and

called a lot! I'm quite sure the bulls will respond to a call at this time but I think you have to call quite a bit which takes time away from road hunting but could be worth it. Gord

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks all for the help, no luck in the first week - had to take a break at the inlaws and will be going back for last chance couple of mornings/days tomorrow I think.

We saw a bull walking around before the tag opened (last day of sept), saw a bull walking around after legal light one day, and called a bull in but wouldn't show himself. They're definitely in there, but I get the feeling there's a lot of pressure on them. As the bull we called in was coming I could hear other hunters calling and whatnot, kinda the shits but guess that's what you get with an area relatively well travelled.

No deer to speak of, but we've been focusing on moose all day so not exactly in the right areas for deer.

Couple of questions:

1. The bull we say on the first day (sept 30) already had 2 cows with him. We went to the same area the next day to try and call, but no response. Worked that area for 3 days no sign of any moose. Would a bull who's already on some cows come to calling? We tried both cow and bull calls at different times. Kinda feel like we wasted those days trying to work a bull who was already cowed up, but not sure..
    2. The second bull we say walking after legal light was just motoring down the side of a mainline. No idea where he was headed, went looking for him in the am but of course no luck. Would you suggest spending any time looking for lone guys found walking around at night?

Thanks for all the help, couple more hunts ahead of us sure be nice to connect.

Cheers!

I was there too from Wednesday afternoon to Sunday afternoon and none of our group saw any bucks or moose at all.

I spent a lot of time in the timber deer hunting (my buddy was the one with he moose tag) but in the bush and whenever I changed location or went for wood, etc. I looked all over and I never saw one pellet of moose droppings or moose track. Of course the amount of cattle in the area pretty much obscures much opportunity to spot a moose track anyway.
    Last edited by MichelD; 10-08-2019 at 04:00 PM.

I have hunted this area for 20 years. I have been into every nook and cranny. Built and travelled on 1000's of kms of resource roads. I know where the animals live, migrate to, breeding grounds, and wintering grounds. It used to be my passion to find them.

The area has the lowest population of game that I have ever seen. (region 3 and 5)