Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing a non hunting dog hunting?

Bringing a non hunting dog hunting?

Hello,

im heading out in search of deer in the coming week and I’m considering bringing one of my dogs along with me for a few days. She is not a hunting dog, medium size, very fit, she has high pray drive but is very obedient.

my question is... if you have hunted big game with a dog along, have you found it negatively impacted your hunt? As far as maybe spooking an animal easier?

Im a little unsure, I've taken her rabbit hunting and shot rabbit with her so she is fine with a firearm and the noise that goes with it. If you have experience in this department I’d love to hear from you. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bringing a non hunting dog hunting?

As long as shes not running around and/or barking cant hurt to bad.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

She’d have to be on a leash. If she’s like my dog she’d make too much noise to make it worth it

(2)
    A person does not commit an offence under section 78 of the Act where the person, while hunting, causes or allows a dog to pursue

(a)
    small game, black bear, bobcat, lynx or cougar, or

(b)
    mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer, fallow deer, sheep, goat, caribou, elk or moose if the dog is on a leash and under the direct control of the person,

you never know till you take her. I didn't find out until my late dog Buckely was 5 that he was such an awesome hunting companion. I really regret not bringing him sooner than I did. I shot a number of animals with him at my side, and he joined me on hunts for deer, elk, black and grizzly bears

Last edited by Ron.C; 10-02-2019 at 06:59 PM.

So, there are many examples of great dogs to have along as a companion on hunts on this forum and I envy those guys... and I've brought my labrador with me a few times on my hunting trips. While she's magic for the grouse while we're out there, she's a complete pain in the ass to have around when I'm focused on deer. She's a great dog, and never wanders more than 10 feet away from me, but she NEVER sits still and makes it impossible to still hunt / spot & stalk.

This year, as much as I love having her around I've decided I'm leaving her at home for my deer hunting trip... but I'm going to double down on geese and ducks this year and put her to use that way.

Cheers.

was a similar post not too long ago, lots of info in there

I think try it once and then you'll know...it will really depend on your hunting style if she's compatible or not
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

I used to bring my pitbull Trigger with me hunting. He was good on warm days, and if it was cold and shitty, if we kept moving. Being a short haired dog, he got cold fast if we stopped.
    He would scent deer and point in their direction, and grunt or whine if I ignored his input. His major failure was his inability to understand that we only wanted ones with antlers. If we saw deer or elk, he would wait for a couple seconds for me to make a move, and if I didn't, he'd start grunting and moaning and whining as if to say "They're RIGHT THERE! Shoot one!'
    Even when he was crippled up with a blown knee, or after his operation while he was recovering he would come with me, but wait in the truck.
    I miss him and wish like hell I could have him along again this season.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Great photos and input lads, I appreciate it. Thanks for the quote from the regs also.

i’m very tempted to bring her along, as she is highly intelligent and a great companion. The cold might be her downfall as she is a smaller short haired dog but there are fixes for that.

thanks again for the input, squamch and RonC you may have very well convinced me to bring her along this time out!

Continuing on the warmth issue, anyone used any dog vests that they would recommend for keeping a short haired dog warm.