Thread: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Threaded View

I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Hello Hunting BC Forum!

First, I'm 42 and I'm a new hunter. 2019 is my 3rd season with deer tags, but really this is only my 2nd season actually hunting. I spent allot of time last season putting miles on the truck and in my boots. I learned allot, covered allot of area, but didn't even get close to finding a "shooter buck". I was beginning to wonder if bucks actually existed.

Fast forward to this season, 1st day out (near Hope, BC), I run into this spike buck on the side of the road. (any buck is legal) At first I thought he was a she as I didn't see antlers from a distance. It wasn't until we drove up on him that we saw the spikes. About 15 feet away from the truck, he just sat there, chewing his grass, looking at us without a care in the world.

I snapped a few pictures and asked my buddy (also a rookie) if I should shoot him. He said "i don't know, your call". Let's see what happens when I get out of the truck. I got out of the truck, loaded the mag, chambered a round, brought the rifle up and put the cross hairs right on spot. All this time, nothing bothered this little guy, not even the truck door slamming shut (rookie), he just sat there eating his grass and looking right at me.

I don't know if it's inexperience or what, but I waffled back and forth for what felt like an eternity, to shoot or not to shoot. Do I kill this young buck for my first deer? I just couldn't do it. I felt like he was too young, I couldn't pull the trigger. It would have been sooo easy, right beside the road, 15 foot shot, easiest kill ever. Eventually the deer left and I went back to the truck wondering what had just happened.

Instantly I regretted the decision to not take him. My buddy who I was with also a new hunter, he wasn't much help. That decision has tormented me ever since. (this happened 2 wees ago) Did I do the right thing? Or am I an idiot for not taking him?

I'm hoping my decision to let the young buck pass will come back to me in the form of good hunter karma.

I'm going to continue looking for his bigger brothers. Hopefully I can report back here with a new story with a different ending soon.

Cheers,
    Buck

Here is a picture of the spike I passed on.. what would you have done?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spike2.JPG 
Views:	1679 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	7600  

2. Site Sponsor