Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Re: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Your working way too hard
    LOL tell me the secrets to LML blacktail man.

I know you know a thing or two... but you don't even live here now. Might as well PM me a honey hole

I think this is going to be a repeat of last year for me. There are lots of does on our cams, but mostly with fawns. Only difference is some of the fawns are 1.5 year olds this year so maybe they will get the boot and those does will bring in some bucks. Or they might just disappear completely in a couple weeks, and all I will see on the cams is the odd buck nose to the ground cruising through.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Certainly take a spike or even a doe if legal if you've never shot a deer. You'll probably learn that spikes are pretty small and aren't worth it for the amount of meat you get.
    I look at it this way... 45-50 lbs of meat is better than 0 lbs of meat. Once you get one in the freezer, then you can be more selective.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Your buddy could have helped you more by saying "shoot it." Meat in the freezer is always a great feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by dadof6 View Post
    Your buddy could have helped you more by saying "shoot it." Meat in the freezer is always a great feeling.
    The little guy in my head would have been chirping me to shoot it. You can take 2 so taking a little one right on the road would make me somewhat happy.

Good on you for holding out - I would have taken him. The young ones taste the best and given my diminished physical abilities, I'll take a smaller one near the road rather than a bigger one that requires 3 km of packing.

Remember, it's never a bad thing for the animal if you choose not to pull the trigger.

I passed a 4 point 4ish year old buck this week because the shot was very poor, right up the backside. If you're not feeling it, don't shoot.

That being said, you're allowed 2 mule/bt in region two. Nothing wrong with a grocery buck for the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by coastcrickets View Post
    I passed a 4 point 4ish year old buck this week because the shot was very poor, right up the backside. If you're not feeling it, don't shoot.

Thats a good reason to not shoot.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I personally will never question another hunter's decision on whether or not to pull the trigger. A buddy of mine who is a new hunter passed on a buck ( would have been his first ) 2 years ago because it was in a bit of grass and he couldn't see the vitals. He wasn't sure if it was doable and while I personally would have taken the shot, I would never tell him he was wrong to pass it up from being unsure. Different scenario than yours of course but whatever the reason for passing the decision lies with the person with their finger on the trigger and nobody else. I will say from personal experience the local coastal blacktails are the best eating deer I've ever had, and that includes Kootenay and interior whitetails which are also really good but not in the same class as these blacktails.

Old friend who hunts/traps gave me the best advice. Theres alot of animals in the bush but you cant eat horns..... if your hunting for food. At the same time, ive not pulled the trigger before on a younger buck but i already had meat
    in the cooler.

No meat in the freezer , first legal animal goes down. I won’t shoot a spike mule deer, would sure shoot a spike blacktail because you can shoot 2

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    LOL tell me the secrets to LML blacktail man.

I know you know a thing or two... but you don't even live here now. Might as well PM me a honey hole

I think this is going to be a repeat of last year for me. There are lots of does on our cams, but mostly with fawns. Only difference is some of the fawns are 1.5 year olds this year so maybe they will get the boot and those does will bring in some bucks. Or they might just disappear completely in a couple weeks, and all I will see on the cams is the odd buck nose to the ground cruising through.
    But what fun would that be

You are targeting areas/style of habitat I never figured out but I have a friend who is a BT’s nightmare in that style of habitat so it does not mean your on the wrong track.

Myself and a few others targeted the stupid overlooked small pocket low elevation BT populations. This involves lots of research, scouting, access issues and often restrictions on weapons you can use but found it well worth it. If you are up for dedicating yourself to a completely different style of BT hunting I can give you advice by PM.