Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Hello Hunting BC Forum!

First, I'm 42 and I'm a new hunter. 2019 is my 3rd season with deer tags, but really this is only my 2nd season actually hunting. I spent allot of time last season putting miles on the truck and in my boots. I learned allot, covered allot of area, but didn't even get close to finding a "shooter buck". I was beginning to wonder if bucks actually existed.

Fast forward to this season, 1st day out (near Hope, BC), I run into this spike buck on the side of the road. (any buck is legal) At first I thought he was a she as I didn't see antlers from a distance. It wasn't until we drove up on him that we saw the spikes. About 15 feet away from the truck, he just sat there, chewing his grass, looking at us without a care in the world.

I snapped a few pictures and asked my buddy (also a rookie) if I should shoot him. He said "i don't know, your call". Let's see what happens when I get out of the truck. I got out of the truck, loaded the mag, chambered a round, brought the rifle up and put the cross hairs right on spot. All this time, nothing bothered this little guy, not even the truck door slamming shut (rookie), he just sat there eating his grass and looking right at me.

I don't know if it's inexperience or what, but I waffled back and forth for what felt like an eternity, to shoot or not to shoot. Do I kill this young buck for my first deer? I just couldn't do it. I felt like he was too young, I couldn't pull the trigger. It would have been sooo easy, right beside the road, 15 foot shot, easiest kill ever. Eventually the deer left and I went back to the truck wondering what had just happened.

Instantly I regretted the decision to not take him. My buddy who I was with also a new hunter, he wasn't much help. That decision has tormented me ever since. (this happened 2 wees ago) Did I do the right thing? Or am I an idiot for not taking him?

I'm hoping my decision to let the young buck pass will come back to me in the form of good hunter karma.

I'm going to continue looking for his bigger brothers. Hopefully I can report back here with a new story with a different ending soon.

Cheers,
    Buck

Here is a picture of the spike I passed on.. what would you have done?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spike2.JPG 
Views:	1673 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	7600  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

If you weren't ready to pull the trigger then you made the right decision. I've had many seasons of passing on legal bucks and then eating my tag later. Just make sure you take advantage of the tag still in your pocket and get out there

Nope nothing wrong with that at all. Legal is legal but let your own ethics guide you.

Ultimately like your partner said its your call.. If you felt he was too young that's a noble thought and I can respect it. When I first started hunting I was willing to take any legal animal, now I find myself passing up a significant number of four points looking for a mature older age class buck. As for the regret its normal especially early in ones hunting career. The question of was it the right decision, well that has some other factors, if you have a lot of time and resources to hunt a lot more then absolutely. If you are looking for meat in the freezer and short on time well then maybe you should have taken the deer.

Hunting is more than just shooting a deer, I would say you were successful in putting yourself in the spots to learn and build that experience. You found an area that holds deer. All in all that is successful. Just put all that information together, get out there and find something you wont have to think twice about. Good luck in the rest of your season

Chosing what to or what not to shoot is your call. I would say allot of new hunters are anxious to shoot their first animal and this can result in rushing. Chosing to pass tells me you have good self control and a real intetest in doing it right. Good for you.

Having said that, nothing wrong with pulling the trigger on a spike, they taste great!

I think you made a good call, everyone has their own idea of what they are looking to shoot for whatever reason they decide. Myself, I would not feel good about shooting a young buck standing beside the road like that. Also, a yearling buck like him is small compared to a more mature buck, you would get way more meat from a bigger buck.
    Brian011

Gotta feel good about what you're doing out there.

the "right" decision is the decision you make for yourself. Good karhma youll probably knock down a cranker now lol

Would you take this buck on November 30th?
    Do you want to eat the animal ?

Then yes you should of. That deer would be great eating.

I've been fish guiding for a long time. I often here I'll keep that one on the last day but not today.
    Often the fish they keep is smaller or they just don't get that last one.

If your worried about horns at this point in your hunting career you just might be in this for the wrong reasons.

Cheers

Last year was the first year I had a chance to pas sup on legal deer. 10 minutes into the first day of hunting a nice 3 year 2 point walks out into the clearing only 100 yards away. I had the cross hairs right on the boiler, and decided not to take him. It just too early into the hunt and I didnt feel like I deserved it yet. I let him continue on his way and then did not see another animal for 7 days. Going through my head was the quote Steve Rinella had said " Never pass up on the first day of a hunt what you would be willing to shoot on the last day" and I was beating myself up over it. I was very lucky to have a much larger deer walk into range 7 days later and harvested. As I get more experienced, I look less at the size of the antlers and more at the size of the body.