Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Re: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Holy crap.. Your experience is almost word for word identical to mine haha and I did the same thing! Kinda weird, check it out: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ths-To-Success

But I can assure you, speaking from experience that you did the right thing in the sense that you didn't feel right about it so you didn't pull the trigger. Nothing would have been wrong with shooting it, it would have been great tasting but you went with your gut and that's great!

I regretted it for a long time too but then eventually I learned I had nothing to regret and eventually, I was rewarded with some tremendous success. You will be too!

Don't regret it. Move on, focus on the adventure ahead and you will have a great season!

Best of luck!

in 2016 I only had 2 days to deer hunt and it was one of the 3 times I have been on fancy hunts (combined a hotel get away in Osoyoos with my wife and daughter and a couple of short jaunts to the woods in the morning and evening). This deer was taken half an hour before we were supposed to do our hotel check out. opening day for does....I was on my way back to the truck when I saw him lying down and did not hesitate (even though I probably should have hesitated) when I went up to it I was shocked to see the smallest deer I have ever seen during hunting season but i was happy to have 30 pounds of the most tender meat you could imagine....i put the photo of the little guy in the gallery and will try to put it on this post later...it was not my proudest moment but i was still happy to have some meat [IMG] http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showp...t-ever&cat=500 [IMG/]
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 10-05-2019 at 10:55 AM.

My first buck i ever shot I past on 22 bucks that year and shot the 23. It’s on the wall and I look at it everyday and glad I waited. That was also my 5 or 6 years of deer hunting before I pulled the trigger. I don’t hunt because I need the meat don’t get me wrong my family and I enjoy it but I love the hunt as much or more than the meat!! You got to be happy with it before you pull the trigger and never regret it if you pass.

I would have passed. I passed on 2 immature WT bucks and a two point mule today. Let them grow. It's good to have goals of a mature buck, makes the hunt that much more exciting and the feeling of accomplishment once you connect is priceless. Good job letting him go, a lot of guys just don't have the self control.

P.S The karma doesnt exist though...I scared up a SHOOTER WT in the afternoon and all I had to shoot at was a BIG dark rack and a fluffy white tail as he bounded away .....and on goes the season!! I feel your pain lol

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly550 View Post
    Good job letting him go, a lot of guys just don't have the self control.
    It’s not a self control thing for a lot of people. It’s a choice made by the individual in their own set of circumstances. If the deer is taken legally, and ethically, it’s up to the person with the tag in their pocket, and finger on the trigger to decide if it’s right or wrong for them at this point in their hunting life. If you are looking at your first deer, or are of an age where hiking through a slash to drag out a monster is beyond you, there is nothing wrong with taking an “easy” or young animal.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Welcome to hunting. It is a reflection life. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Some turn out, some don’t. Some we regret and we grind our teeth over, others we are happy we made. I will tell you not to sweat your decision but you will anyway. When you do pull the trigger you will appreciate the animal all the more.
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

Nothing to be gained from 2nd guessing decisions...was your decision at the time therefore it was the right one for you. Can be many reasons for not shooting...not always about killing and the meat for some. In your case you likely wanted the first one to be more memorable...nothing wrong with that. A few years back I passed on a nice 4-point 180 class buck on last eve of season. If he was smaller would have taken him, but figured would leave him to spread the genetics after seeing so few bucks around that area. Never once reconsidered that decision.... and I like to shoot

No regrets! In the moment, it was the right call. End of the season with an empty freezer... different factors, maybe a different decision. Often it is enough to just see them.

Judging by the photo - that was a young buck that identified as a doe. You can tell by the heavy eyeliner and lashes... narrow snout as well. Could have have an issue with the CO later, if checked... you made a good call.

^^^haha....some funny shite there

I shot a spike blacktail my very first day hunting on the first day of hunting season, didnt regret it but thought "wow this easy I guess I'll use my second tag on a big one"...lol...well I couldn't have been more wrong ! Hunted every possible day for the rest of the season and didn't see another single buck till the last day and when I shot that spike I was ten times more excited than the first one ! So I would agree with others in that the harder you work for it the more rewarding it is. Having said that though I certainly didn't regret the first one....the first one was the one I learned how to field dress, skin etc... I love hunting and in my opionion there are no right or wrong reasons whether your looking for meat or a "trophy" for the wall( unless you just like killing to calm the voices in your head..lol) ! Makes no diffrence to the animal, he doesn't want to be shot at all and doesn't give a shit what you do with him after he's dead ! I don't beleive in justification, hunting is a natural thing to do and your reasons are your business....providing its legal. My advice would be get back out there and shoot the next legal one you find, gain some experience, every part of hunting is enjoyable. I love the anticipation of opening day to picking my meat up from the butcher.....also like taking some samples to work and watching all the self proclaimed "anti" hunting types hypocritically gobble it down...very enjoyable !
    Last edited by Islander30; 10-06-2019 at 07:29 AM.