Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Re: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

6 pages on this thread and no response by the starter makes you wonder if this was just a troll.....
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    6 pages on this thread and no response by the starter makes you wonder if this was just a troll.....
    I was kinda thinking the same earlier....

Or he's out looking for another spiker that he won't pass on.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Wow, great responses, thanks everyone, what an awesome community we have here!

I think if I had an experienced hunter with me who simply said "shoot em", I would have done so. I probably won't pass on the next one. I learn something new every time I go out.

I was out this past weekend up Sowaqua, first time up that valley. Beautiful place, lots of deer sign, but didn't find anything to shoot. I found one spot that looked like a well used deer highway, lots of tracks going up and down, I think I'll go back, setup a ground blind there and just sit and wait. I'll continue on my hunting journey and will post an update when I finally have success.

Cheers!

Good of you to come back buckshot glad to hear you're still at it. Just keep a close eye on the weather if venturing out Sowaqua if big rains come that area is very prone to slides. Good luck with your adventures
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

My thoughts are you are hunting region 2 BTs, so you are allowed to take 2 and they are very hard to find. Those bucks also don't get massive antlers. You will likely regret not shooting. That could be the only buck you see all season.

...Time will tell... if you will end up with full freezer at the end of season - it was right call....if not...? Just came back from LEH group moose hunt; Shot small 4 point in first hour of first day....also had doubts about pulling the triger.....hell - meat is meat.....After 11 more days of looking for another one that four point was the only thing we ended up with. Bloody hell was I glad I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by nuadixion View Post
    ...Time will tell... if you will end up with full freezer at the end of season - it was right call....if not...? Just came back from LEH group moose hunt; Shot small 4 point in first hour of first day....also had doubts about pulling the triger.....hell - meat is meat.....After 11 more days of looking for another one that four point was the only thing we ended up with. Bloody hell was I glad I did it.
    Congrats on the WT. I figure if you tag out early, you can always hunt grouse and bunnies the rest of your trip...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Congrats on the WT. I figure if you tag out early, you can always hunt grouse and bunnies the rest of your trip...
    Thank you. But it was four point moose not WT.... And yes you are right , There are plenty of other critters to keep you busy besides you main objectives.....

The first deer I ever had the opportunity to harvest was a little spiker at 10 yards and I couldn’t pull the trigger lol.
    Didn’t see another buck for 2 years despite hiking miles around region 2 haha, needless to say, but the next buck I saw didn’t get a pass.
    Good luck out there!
    Rule # 1 No talking about undies. yours or anyone elses.

1. Never pass up shooting a legal animal that you would take on the last day of the season.
    2. Never look a gift horse in mouth. Dame fortune is not a lady to be scorned.