Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Re: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

I agree with what the fellas said, another thing to think about is getting one under your belt gives you experience dressing it out, skinning, butchering. But on another hand if I was a rookie hunter and I drove up on a buck like that it would be nice to have the meat but you'd maybe not have the feeling of hard work paid off like if you found the same buck after climbing up and down mountains all season long and felt the feeling of reward and hard work paid off no matter size. My first buck was small as well, a first year forky, but I had worked so hard in the mountains and researching and finally I found him at the end of my second season I shot him. And I'm glad I did even though I wouldn't shoot a buck that small now as my hunting skills have grown
    If you are not wet, cold, and have sore legs, you're not blacktail hunting.

I think you did the right thing. Personally I enjoy the pursuit of game more than the need to put meat in the freezer. That was just too easy. I remember the first deer I shot in Clinton that I tracked for a while in light snow. The rush was amazing when I took the opportunity to finally take the shot.

Before my son was old enough to hunt I worried more about filling the freezer, than antlers, so I would kill the first legal bull. I haven’t taken any really big antlered animals but I have taken more than my fair share of average/smaller bulls/bucks. Now I let my son take what he wants and I pass up a lot of opportunities.
    After 20yrs+ of hunting I still question letting animals walk away.

I don’t think anyone can honestly say that they’ve never questioned letting an animal walk away. Everyone has their own reasons for pulling the trigger or letting an animal walk away, It’s your choice.....don’t beat your self up over letting a young buck walk away.

it would all come down to how much time I have to hunt and how much meat i had left in the freezer...awwww who the hell am i kidding i would not have hesitated he would be hanging on my meat pole.... young mule deer spikes are way tastier than a big rutting buck imho. It never hurts to get ready for a shot when you see does or a small buck but wait for a bigger one to show before you run out of time on the young guy (which can be a long time as you noticed)

One more thing, try to make up your mind exactly what you want or don't want before you head out so there's no second guessing and regret
    If you are not wet, cold, and have sore legs, you're not blacktail hunting.

Well, in Hope you are allowed 2 bucks. I would take the first buck I see and then be picky afterwards. but I have shot many deer and like an easy one now for the freezer if it presents itself. The 'right' deer for you will show up and you will pull the trigger when you are ready. Good luck and keep at it!

Ultimately it's up to you, but if you have some grand vision of your first deer being a monster 5x5 or something you'll probably end up disappointed.

Personal opinion: I don't care what anyone says, the younger ones are by far the best for eating.

Ive let a lot of spikes and deuces walk. I've shot quite a few too including my first. Its not a big deal which way you go especially early in the season. As long as you're ready for a lot of second guessing and face palming should you end the season deerless. haha. He's too young to be a loner so you know where there's some deer now at the very least. And yes yearlings are quite clueless that's why most of them don't make it to adulthood.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I passed on two spike bucks during my first year of hunting. Much like you, I was hesitant, and then later was strangely filled with regret for not getting my first buck. It wasn't until the last day of my hunting season that I finally came across a two-point and pulled the trigger, only a few minutes later to realize in horror how far I really was from my vehicle. I had to drag him solo just over 4km in pissing rain, and after that, I decided that my first buck of the season would always be one to fill the freezer. When an easy opportunity presents itself, it's a gift I'm thankful for. We all have to start somewhere.

Life is full of lessons, it wasn't a mistake on your part - when you're ready you're ready. Now get back out there, I'm sure you'll come across your first buck this season.

Like everyone else said there is no right or wrong choice passing on a legal buck it is a matter of personal goals