Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

Re: I passed on a spike.. am I an idiot?

I have never passed on the first buck i see and have no regrets
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

your buddy was right, it's your call, only you should decide when and what to pull the trigger on

only other thing I can say, is I have a friend that was also a new hunter and he was a bit hesitant to kill a big game animal, he wanted to hunt, no issues shooting grouse and rabbits, but when it came time to squeeze on big game....well....a few moose had a very lucky day that week.....slight strain on the friendship hahaha

I think the first kill is different for everybody, mixed emotions, maybe a bit of remorse is natural....not saying that's the case here, but perhaps something to consider
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

last year I actually went the other way...I had 3 WT deer quartering away walking by me in a line (during buck only season)....The first was the biggest but it was only a doe ….a huge doe..... the second was the smallest of the three and the second one I checked out for antlers (small 3x2) the 3rd was about as big as the doe and lots of wood but kind of turned towards me making a harder shot so I quickly turned back to the little buck and took him... [IMG] http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35869&title=buck18skinned&cat= 500 [/ IMG]
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 10-02-2019 at 06:44 PM.

At the same point in my hunting career that you are, yes, I would have shot.
    Now I don't shoot spikes with my rifle, although if I have my bow they are in danger! I feel I've shot enough spikes, but...late in the season, with an empty freezer, that could change.
    Ultimately, it's your ethics, it's your decision, and it's you that needs to sleep that night. You are supposed to consider these things. Taking a life isn't something to be taken lightly.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

My first deer three years ago was very similar, a young buck, two point standing about 75 meters from the road give or take. I wasn't even out hunting for deer that day, but I had my rifle with me just in case. Just stood there as I loaded up and shot him dead. The feeling of dropping my first deer hugely outweighed any regret for shooting a small deer. Still no regrets to this day.

Would I shoot the same deer in the same situation today? Probably not, no.

That being said, as many people here, and your friend said, it's your call. If you didn't immediately know that was your deer, then it wasn't your deer. Maybe you'll get skunked, or maybe you'll tag a monster in a couple days.

He would be in my freezer right now......

If you don't need the meat that bad then I wouldn't worry about it...for me, if I haven't shot anything in the season, the first legal animal unless it's small, goes down...I use all the meat for me and my family..

I have no issue with taking young bucks and have certainly taken my share. Having said that, there have been a few that seemed "too tame" or easy to make me feel right about the kill, so I held out. If you are going to be able to continue getting out, it's good you held out for something that will feel better for you. If you are on limited time to get out, it may have been better to have taken what you could have.

Who knows, you could have spared the life of a buck that you see in future years (or the guy behind you may have whacked him, but we won't talk about that, lol)!

Lots of great comments in this thread. I’m in the same boat as the OP in regards to being a deer newbie. I’ve been a bird hunter for a long time, but have yet to take a deer. I’m heading out in a few days for a “ get my first deer” trip. I know I would be very conflicted on shooting that one too, but in the end, I hunt only for the meat, and quality time outdoors, so I think I would have taken the shot. My first turkey was “too easy”, but I put in a LOT of time and miles before getting that easy shot. That bird was TASTY!

if you’ve just finished your CORE, walk out to your truck, and a legal deer is standing in the back of it, that is too easy. Otherwise, if you’ve put the time in, take the gifts when they come your way.
    Last edited by Redthies; 10-03-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Certainly take a spike or even a doe if legal if you've never shot a deer. Get some blood on your hands sort of speak. You'll probably learn that spikes are pretty small and aren't worth it for the amount of meat you get, unless your cutting your wife's or kids tags. I leave them hoping some kid or newbie gets a chance at one.