Thread: Elk Hunting How far down the game trail you go

Threaded View

Elk Hunting How far down the game trail you go

Hi Everyone,

I know I've been asking alot of questions about elk hunting lately, I'm just getting tired of getting skunked for 4 years.

So I took everyone's advice about getting off the roads.
    My question is, do you just pick random game trails and start bushwacking? At what point do you stop and give up on a trail and walk out?

I've found a few trails that show a lot of footprints(have trouble differentiating moose and elk). I walk down for about 3 kms look for signs and only saw a few old poop. What do you guys do in this situation? Do you keep going or turn around and look for another trail. How soon after entering a game trail do you realize it's not a good one and move to another trail

When do you start walking? Do you go down a quad trail as far away from the road as possible then get off the quad when you see a good trail? Or do you just walk from camp?

Second, do you preplan the trail before entering, google maps, looking for meadows etc? Or do you just pick the first one you see and go? I'm finding that some of the trails I enter eventually just get too thick to keep walking into.

Does anyone ever just sit I'm s game trail and wait there?
    Last edited by bruce44; 10-02-2019 at 01:32 AM.

2. Site Sponsor