Thread: Freezing a hide?

Freezing a hide?

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with tanning hides and, is it feasible to freeze a hide before starting the fleshing process etc? I shot a buck and would like to keep the hide and tan it but have never done it and I don't have time this fall...ideally I'd like to keep it, and learn to tan it over the winter..thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Freezing a hide?

Yes, you can feeze the hide before tanning.
    Just don't mix salting and freezing.

well then Harry if you all ready got a buck. wheres the photos of it, come on now.

I heard you should fold the hide flesh side to flesh side, then roll it so the hair isnt touching the flesh side and stuff in a garbage bag, pull out as much air as you can, tape it up well. I was also told not to salt if you are freezing it

Is that a good method?

Awesome tips, thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by butthead View Post
    well then Harry if you all ready got a buck. wheres the photos of it, come on now.
    Lol it ain't anything special, just a spike freezer filler but I needed to put something down, I've got a small family to feed...but maybe we need to start a 2019 freezer filler thread...

Freezing them first is no problem. I fold them along the length flesh to flesh, and then fold across. Then I use a shop vac to get the air out of the bag and zip tie it. This gives you a nice flat package for the freezer and it thaws out faster when you take it out.

You can still freeze it if you’ve already salted it, but you have to make sure there is no salt or brine left on it, because the salt can effect freezing.

Or if it’s already been salted a couple times and everything turned, you can lay it out flat or hang it with a fan on it and dry it out. Once dry but still foldable just put it in a pillow case and store it someplace dry. It will last for a long time that way to. I’ve tanned deer cape after being dried and sitting on a shelf for about 5 years.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 10-02-2019 at 04:01 PM.