Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any buck

Re: Any buck

Quote Originally Posted by cptnoblivious View Post
    Don't confine yourself to early mornings and evenings. So many times I'm out and see deer at times when they're not "supposed" to be out.
    This right here. Everyone always says first and last light, but I have shot the majority of my animals mid day.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy View Post
    This right here. Everyone always says first and last light, but I have shot the majority of my animals mid day.
    There seems to be a magic time between 10:00 and 2:00 that deer beg me to shoot them lol

Dont tell everybody the secret! Haha
    I too as of late have had more success mid day than any other time of day . Dont get me wrong , mornings and evenings can be very productive at times. Heck . Just hunt all day!

Mc
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

as others have mentioned....walk slow and do a stop and full look around....I always count paces (every second step) while walking and set a limit on how many I take before I must stop/look around....my max is 30 even if trying to cover ground on a road I stop and look after 30 paces... in prime areas I routinely get down to less than 5 paces and even as low as every step...also your breathing/heart rate will help tell you when you are going too fast...not to mention if you are sweating you are going too fast or wearing too many clothes
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 10-09-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Wait for a clear shot at the chest. Take your time to make sure you have a good shot. Practice field shooting, benches don't happen to be in the field. Have fun. Slow is not slow enough. Sit till your bored and then sit some more. Enjoy the solitude and lack of schedule. And for **** sakes don't be playing on your phone while hunting - I'll shoot it if I see you doing that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    There seems to be a magic time between 10:00 and 2:00 that deer beg me to shoot them lol
    It's about 50 / 50 for me.

One memorable hunt years ago, my dad and I were on our way into town for lunch, scouting for a location to setup. As we're going thorough a new clear cut I look in the rear view and whoops, there's a nice buck behind a burn pile.

Lunch was delayed a fair bit

Well all in all I had a good weekend, Didn't end up coming home with anything, we covered quite a lot of ground but it just seems the deer weren't there, but still enjoyed being out there

We've shot deer right at legal light, we've shot deer after lunch/nap.. when ever you can be out, is the best time to be out!
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC

Quote Originally Posted by Cody66 View Post
    Well all in all I had a good weekend, Didn't end up coming home with anything, we covered quite a lot of ground but it just seems the deer weren't there, but still enjoyed being out there
    That's what it's all about. Keep at it, you'll harvest an animal. And when you finally do, it'll be that much more satisfying!
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC

Quote Originally Posted by Cody66 View Post
    glad you had a good time

But something to think of next time you go hunting it’s not about covering ground it’s about spending time where the deer want to be. Too many hunters keep walking past good locations because they did not see the animal they are looking for. Pay attention to sign and don’t walk away from areas with good sign

covering ground is for scouting