Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Compound Bow for Young Archers

Best Compound Bow for Young Archers

Looking for opinions on the best compound bow for young people, something they can have for many years and has plenty of adjustment for draw length and draw weight.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Compound Bow for Young Archers

My 8 year old shoots a diamond infinite edge

My son also shoots an infinite edge. Adjustable up to 70 lbs. Too much adjustability in my opinion as I am sure that he will move on to a new bow by the time he is able to pull 60 -70 lbs. Diamond now makes the prism. Pretty much the same bow but adjustable to 50 lbs I think. They are nice bows though. Shot his first buck with it this year.

For a younger child, the Diamond Atomic is the real deal. Smaller, lighter, adjustable to 30 lbs. Can sure fling an arrow though. I have one, custom powder coated in Hot pink if you are interested in a good deal.

Thanks, guys, I'll look into the Diamond brand.

I have a RH Bowtech Destroyer 340 50# draw camo pattern with custom LED lite 5 pin sight and top of the line accessories for sale. Excellent condition. Not used any more. Email me at wdalzell@shaw.ca or see ad/pics in Craigslist.
    Good bow to detune and live with for a long time.
    thanks
    Wayne
    50# RH Bowtech Destroyer
    60# LH Bowtech Destroyer
    KI 415 crossbow
    KI Swat XP crossbow
    KI Swat X1 crossbow
    P17 Eddystone 30/06 w Zeiss Conquest 3-9 scope

How old? Before I was old enough to hunt I shot a recurve.

My son is 9 and I'm debating getting him a bow for xmas. I may wait until next year. Now he has a short attention span - but he's interested.

I saw some nice compounds but I'm thinking @danny_29 may be right. Why not a recurve?

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    My son is 9 and I'm debating getting him a bow for xmas. I may wait until next year. Now he has a short attention span - but he's interested.

I saw some nice compounds but I'm thinking @danny_29 may be right. Why not a recurve?
    Yes, agreed .And a recurve bow will teach them archery skills that you cant get from a compound. The weight will also increase as the child grows and draws longer. 30-35 lb at 28" draw is a good start.

And don’t spend too much on the starter bows! They outgrow them too fast. Even the adjustable ones. I did it all wrong and my kid is a 17 year old gorilla who shoots the same gear as me now. He never even had time to get proficient with the starter bows I bought him. Grew too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post

It's a great way to learn form...plus the simplicity of it is what keeps it entertaining.